Squirrel hunting from a tree stand.

STUMP49

I have found hunting them from a portable tree stand works great. You set above them and you can see them running on the ground and they don't even know you are there. Also when in the stand they come right up to you. Try it once you will like it........stump

i've never really specificallyhunted squirrels from a tree stand but noticed they seem to hang around while im deer whackin'.
they've been targets of opportunity more than once

Zach

I found out the same thing when bowhunting deer how the squirrels would run around and not be bothered by you being in a tree stand. So I tried it. I put my tree stand in early and hunted squirrels until I decided to hunt deer.

You set up in that tree stand and it just dosen't bother them, because there is no movement on the ground and no noise of you walking through the woods.

I used a portable stand so I could move around. Early in the morning get set up and wait for sun rise, and watch the squirrels run around. Also later in the afternoon is a great time.
When you shoot one, just leave it until you are done hunting then go pick then all up at one time. You may need a pencil and paper to keep track where they are....

Try it you will enjoy it and I think you will see more squirrels..that way you have them coming to you instead of you going to them.. that way they don't even know you are there....good luck...stump

Some years back I wanted to hunt Thanksgiving morning. But, I knew I would have only a limited amount of time. So I went to sit in my ladder stand for a little while. I took my .22 because I had been seeing a LOT of squirrels. I killed a limit (10) in about a hour and a half. Got down, collected my squirrels and went home.
That was one of my all time best squirrel hunting days.

Yea, I used to be bothered by the squirrels so much while bowhunting for deer, that I began to specifically carry "squirrel arrows" in my quiver. Ended up shooting several over the years.

Seems that while sitting in the tree for a few hours in early morning, I would always see squirrels.

Good thought about hunting them that way. A little patience and a good 22 rifle might be just what the doctor ordered.

i also do the same
while bow hunting
i always carry one of my modified airpistols
good for up to 45 yards the gun fits in my pack and is dead quiet

Been huntin them from my tree stands for about 5yrs now.Seen to many while bowhuntin and had to try it.IMO its the most productive method there is.

I will shoot em from the tree stand also but not with a rifle. I use the bow with a small game head. I am liking my G5 small game heads as they were advertised as will fly exactly like fixed blade broad heads and the DO!

Squirrels are a target of opportunity though.

Back