no squirrels today, but found some mushrooms

Savagenut

...struck out squirrel hunting, today. They just weren't where I went, or, at least, they weren't showing themselves. I did find a few cuttings, but they were older.

On the way back to my Blazer, I found a good bunch of coral mushrooms (AKA antler or doghair mushrooms). I picked a hat full and headed home.

I put them in the sink to soak in cold water while I took care of a couple of feeding chores and took a shower.

I cleaned them, mixed up a bowl of batter and turned on the Fry-Daddy. A good coating of batter and drop into the cooker, flip them over with a fork to brown both sides, then out onto paper towels to drain. A light salting, and they were ready.

They were very good, if I do say so, myself. I ate a good helping, but tried to not overload on them. Too many fresh mushrooms will usually have a reaction, similar to the Green-Apple Two-Step.

With all the rain we've had here in the last week, there should be a bunch of mushrooms for the next few days.

I have been out three morning straight, no squirrels either. I was coyote hunting, but places that always holds squirrels, nothing. What do you think is going on? That old moon? Cold front coming in?

Spring morels, turkey breast and/or crappie fillets, yummmm!
wink.gif

being from so.cal. i know nothing about good or bad shrooms. i did see two mex, women come by me with two big bags of shrooms from around that lake that had the gator in it down by the harbor. the next day i read in the paper that at least 2 or 3 people died and a bunch of their family almost died from eating the wrong kind of shrooms! i am glad you guys know the right ones to eat.

I didn't get out for squirrels today. The steady rain will
keep them denned up most of the day. After the rain stops
they will be out again.

...that reminds me of an old joke:

A guy was sitting at the bar in a local watering hole, and started talking to the bartender about how he had just lost his wife.
The bartender asks: "How did she die?
The guy replies "From eating poison mushrooms."
Bartender says "That's a shame".
The guy says "She was my second wife. The first one died, also."
Bartender asks "How did she die?"
The guy says "From a broken neck".
Bartender asks "How did that happen?"
The guy says "She wouldn't eat the mushrooms."

Back