omelets

Redfrog

Campfire Omelets

Some of the best things in life are the simplest. Fresh air, beautiful country, great friends, a lake to fish on or go swimming in, and of course gourmet meals.

When some people go camping, they think a gourmet meal is burning a Smokie to add to the beans instead of just a regular weiner.

With a little thought and planning beforehand, bush meals can be as interesting and delicious as any prepared at home.

I’m a fan of breakfast. Not the noisy kind in a bowl, but a real breakfast, cooked over a campfire., by a real man!!!

Guys, if you can boil water, prepare to astound everyone in your group.

Once the fire is going, put a large pot of water on to boil. Of course you can use your camp stove or even do this at home for special occasions.

You’ll need Ziplok freezer bags, eggs and your favorite omelet fillings.
Crack a couple eggs into the Ziplok, squish the eggs around, add shredded cheese, diced onions, peppers, ham, smokies, whatever floats your boat. 6 people??? Everyone can have exactly what they want.

Take the air out of the bag and place into boiling water. Sit back looking smug while you enjoy your coffee.

THIRTEEN MINUTES later, remove from water, cut open the bag and the omelet will roll out, done to perfection. Everyone will be thoroughly impressed. No sticks or ashes, no burnt egg smell[YEEEUUCK!] and one of the camp lackeys can use the boiled water to wash the dishes.

Since toast can sometimes be a pain to get done just right in camp, I like to use the tortillas or other flat breads. They are available in different flavors. Add some salsa and enjoy.

This works great for a crowd of house guests at home. Everyone adds their own ingredients, and the kids love it.

ATT2.jpg

ATT3.jpg

ATT4.jpg

I have done this before and can attest to the way they come out, none of that runny stuff or burnt beyond all recognition. Redfrog could you include a picture of what a proper smug look would be?

Back