NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: GCLead Number FOUR Buck will safely fire through a choke of about .680" from your shotgun. Those pellets are .24 caliber. They are small enough, and being lead, soft enough to manage the tight constriction. Triple ought (000) as you originally stated is too large at .33 caliber for any turkey tight choke. You need to take the time to go to the range and pattern your gun with that No. Four Buck to see how it shoots. The turkey loads can kill coyotes out to about 25 yards or so, but personally I have had bad luck overall with turkey loads. There are MUCH better choices, such as the No. Four Buckshot you have on hand.

GC,
You have me a bit cornfused! In your first shotgun tests you used a .660 choke with #4 Buck. Are you now saying that .680 is safer for a gun shooting #4 Buck?

Last edited:
All bores don't have the same internal dimensions, so the chokes actual constriction needs to be subtracted from the bore size to see where you are in true "tightness."

I am not sure I understand what you just wrote. If I have two different brand shotguns, both with a .660” choke installed. Are you saying one gun could suffer damage firing #4 buck and the other gun be fine? Is this because one may have a thinner barrel and can’t take the stress caused by the restriction? I am planning on purchasing a Carson OEM .665 choke for my Rem. 870 Express and I sure don’t want a bulge or split barrel.
shocked.gif

Here is an example, my Benelli's have .723" bores, while my Remington has .730" bores, and my sons new Winchester SX3 has a .743" bore. If I shoot a .660" choke in all three then I would have .063" constriction in the Benelli's, .070" in the Remington, and .083" in the Winchester. That extra .020" in constriction with Hevi-Shot type loads might put the Winchester over the limit for safe firing or good patterns. In the case of the Winchester I would need a .680" choke to match the same amount of constriction as I have in the Benelli's and the .660" choke. Clear as mud?

Thanks GC. I think I understand. With the larger bore shotguns, you have a larger group of shot traveling down the barrel suddenly being restricted by the choke. In the smaller bore guns the shot is already traveling in a smaller group when it hits the choke, which causes less pressure. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me.

GC,

Have you had the chance to do any testing with your soons sx3? If so what choke shot combo have you found the best results with? I just got mine and am awaiting a few other items then going to head to the range and make a day of it.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
No, I haven't. He wants to knock some coyotes out with it, I guess we'll do some shooting after our deer hunting is done. If you come up with some good results and combo's, please post it up here and share your findings. That is the same bore and choke as the Browning Invector Plus so that info could cover a lot of guns and be real helpful.

will do, I am going to try the factory chokes first and go from there would like to find a good combo with the full choke for greys they dont need as much of a push to give up as a yote lol may even head out tom. to try that then work on a yote load later... am thinking full choke with num 2's to start. I will try to get some good pics and put up soon.

I am going to run some loads through my new browning maxus in the next couple of weeks when all my chokes arrive.
The maxus and the sx3 use the same bore and choke.
I will be giving the factory full a try,a puregold .670,an indian creek BDS choke .665 and a carlsons dead coyote choke.
To start it will be 3.5 inch dead coyote,3 inch rem hd bb and federal 3 inch #4 buck.
I have the gun and shells ready to test i am just waiting on the mailorder chokes to arrive.
I will post a detailed report when i get the job done hopefully within the next month.

Last monday i did some testing on two guns,three chokes each and three different loads.
One gun was a remington 11-87 turkey with a 21 inch barrel and 3 inch chamber.
In this gun i tested 3 chokes a primos jelly head.665,indian creek blackdiamond strike .665 and a pure gold .670.Loads tested were 3"federal #4 buck and 3" remington hd BB.
The second gun tested was a browning maxus with a 26 inch barrel and 3.5 inch chamber.
Three chokes were tested in this gun a carlsons dead coyote choke,indian creek black diamond strike .665 and a pure gold .670.Loads tested were 3"federal#4 buck,3"remington hd bb,and 3.5 inch heavishot dead coyote.
Here are the results,very interesting!
064.jpg
063.jpg
060.jpg
061.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg
019.jpg
065.jpg
021.jpg
066.jpg
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]
url]

All shots were taken from 40 yds.Paper is a 12x12 with a 6 inch middle.
The pure gold .670 with either rem hd bb or dead coyote seems to be the clear winner.
The carlsons was a close second with both loads.
Surprising to me was the indian creek which came in dead last,in three 870 pump guns i tested previous to this the results were much better with this choke.
It did do ok this roud with the #4 buck as did the primos jelly head.
The testing does prove that it really does pay to test your gun ,ckokes and load.
And taken on the same day latter that evening my first of this season a mature old female taken with the maxus,pure gold .670 and rem hd bb,first blood for the maxus.
url]

For some reason in my earlier post it wont allow me to post all pics in large form.
I suspect it only allows 10 large pics at a time so here are the rest.
067.jpg
068.jpg
025.jpg
027.jpg
026.jpg
028.jpg
029.jpg
030.jpg
032.jpg
036.jpg

Thank you for doing the work on that! It is very interesting stuff and can go on endlessly. I really like that Wingmaster HD-BB load a lot. It is easier to get decent patterns with and when it is right it can load a coyote up with that hard deep penetrating shot. The .670" constriction has worked very well for me, but it is amazing how even .005" difference can change a pattern. I would have liked to see how an Indian Creek BDS in .670" would compare with the Pure Gold .670" head to head.

IMG_6313-Copy-1.jpg

In the above picture you can see a friend of mine in the process of testing Remington Wingmaster HD BB's on a coyote. You can see the green hull in the air just to the right of the shooter and some smoke by the shotgun.
IMG_6314.jpg

Here is the pattern picture just a fraction of a second later.

Thanks GC. That shot was right at 25 yards.The shooter was using my Rem 11-87 with a Carlson's improved modified extended choke and the 3" Rem HD BB's.

I know you guys have probly,already said this but using #4 buck,how many hits in a 10in circle do you need to be call a kill shoot.

Back