Quick question to gun painters

Kioti_Driver

Do you disassemble the rifle and paint everything separately? If you leave the rifle in one piece, do you remove the scope? Looking at my Rem 788, there isn’t much room under the scope for sponge work. I was thinking of removing the action and at least giving it a good primer coat. The old 788 didn’t have a very good bluing job when I bought it 40 years ago, so I just want some rust protection under the stock. I will then put it back together, leaving the scope off and give it the base coat and sponge work. I will paint the scope and rings off the rifle, trying to duplicate the pattern. Any suggestions?

With the bolt guns I have painted, I have primed the metal with a metal primer and laid the base color on after that. The stocks I have done have been plastic so I cleaned and used Krylon with fusion directly. I usually reassemble after all parts are painted with the base coat and then apply the rest on the ready to hunt assembly (of course with the proper things taped off). When done I just remove the tape and insert bolt etc.

I just posted this one over on the AR forum but used the Krylon with grass for stencil. Base coat over all of gun except for what I did not want covered and then topped it with detail...

ARCamopaint.jpg

Last edited:
When you paint the scope, loosen the caps just a few turns so they will not stick but the will easily screw down after painting.

On the bolt guns I've painted I removed the scope but left the rings and bases on to maintain a good metal to metal fit between the bases and the action. I masked off the inside of the rings and masked off the area on the scope where the rings sit. Probably not necessary but it worked fine. In fact the last couple I've done I didn't paint the scope at all. Just put some camo tape around in a few places to break up the outline. One thing I've started to do on all my paint jobs is to mask off the bottom of the barrel that is in the stock. I also mask off the inside of the stock from the bedded areas all the way to the fore end. In fact I didn't do it to one gun and I'm sure the build up of paint, no matter how slight, changed how the gun/action sat in the stock and had a negative affect on the accuracy of that gun. I recentally pulled it apart and scraped the paint off but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Thanks guys. I will post some before and after pics. Duck, it almost sounds like you would be better off leaving the gun in one piece minus the scope when you painted it.
grin.gif

Back