Squirrels have moved in!!!

Savagenut

Here in South-central MO., we have not had any squirrels to speak of, all of last year, and so far this year.

In the last week or so, I see, every day, about a dozen smashed on the highway. This is a pretty good indicator of the population density. Those that make it across the highway can be seen moving on the ground, or in the trees near the roads.
The guys at the coffee shop are all talking about how many they have been killing. I didn't get to go this weekend, because of rain. My back yard has several squirrels in it, but my wife wants to feed them, so I guess they are off-limits.

Yep, they are wherever they can find some mast right now. Hickory nuts seem to be cut out around here and they have worked over pine cones too. The acorns are getting their attention right now. Our mast crop is kinda spotty, so where there are nuts the squirrels are thick. Where there is little or no mast, only a few squirrels are around. About where in southern Missouri are you?

moving through se mo. seen more this year than last three or four years, should have went today but hit the mighty mississippi for flathead, no luck.

last weekend i went out to shannon ranch and mark twain out by cabool the oaks are full of acorns but no hickory nuts walnuts are spotty

i got 8 total for the week end seen lots more though

....I'm in the springs area of MO., on Hwy 60, about 65 miles west of Poplar Bluff, and 40 miles north of the
Rack-em-sack line.

The walnut trees here are loaded. In October, it's always a big thing when the walnut huller sets up at the local hardware or feed store, and people bring in tons of walnuts to sell.

Hickory nuts are just a memory this year, but we seem to have pretty good crop of acorns. I hope to get out this weekend, and kill a few squirrels. I haven't killed one with my pistol in a couple of years.

I put out a small food plot a couple of weeks ago, and would like to check on it this weekend. Maybe I can get a few greys at the same time.

In a different vein, GC, have you ever done any gigging? I went with my nephew, last Tuesday, opening night. We killed about 30 in our boat, mostly hog-suckers, but a few yellows. We didn't cook them until the weekend. They were good, but they are ALWAYS better cooked at the river.

Last edited:
Savagenut,
That's right I remember you telling me where you are now. Both you and bluto are in beautiful areas of the Ozarks. I've only gigged a few times. I had a buddy that had a big jet rig with the lights and rail, ect. It was fun and the grub fried up on the Current River gravel bar those nights was something special!

Back