Book Review: Simply Sushi

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
We're big fans of asian food. Japanese, Chinese, Thai. Recently I've bought a few cook books to help us learn how to make some of this stuff correctly.

The latest one is Simply Sushi by Steven Pallett, ISBN 978-1-7418-1044-8. It's a book that includes a DVD and a bamboo matt for rolling. I bought it through amazon.com for about $18.

Just finished watching the DVD. Very clear, easy to follow.

This book gives a brief on the origins and the 4 basic types, then moves on to the essentials needed, including kitchen items & basic ingredients, followed by specific recipes and complete how-to info for each type.

It's all here, clearly & simply explained, from choosing fish suitable for use to slicing techniques to presentation.

Some common ingredients have been hard for us to find. May have to do some internet shopping to fill in the gaps for some recipes.

From what I've been told by people who already know how to do this, a real key issue is in making sure you prepare the rice correctly. Pallett covers that in detail & without the info I can see that it'd be real easy to mess that up, LOL

The author is Australian, so he left me one real reason to criticize the book & DVD.

Measurements. Being from Oz, he uses a lot of metric values, but not universally so. For example, when talking about rice he sometimes specifies cups, other times grams, other time tablespoons.

Most recipe values are provided in metric, so it's probably going to be simpler to just make sure you have basic tools that measure in grams & milliliters to save the hassle & possible errors of converting.

If making your own sushi at home is of interest to you I'd have to say I'd recommend this one.

our 1st shot at rolls was OK. Over cooked the rice a bit & it's easy to use too much rice, so the seaweed doesn't wrap on itself.

Lacking fresh fish right now, we used crab meat, cucumber and fresh avocado for our rolls.

drizzled with eel or sweet chili sauce with fresh wasabi and pickled ginger on the side.

pretty yummy

wife took another shot at it today. Clearly the rice it the hardest part to get right.

Sashimi & sushi require a very sharp knife and a bit of skill with it. I have those.

Making the rice correctly for rolls requires a series of steps. Using either too little water or too much alters the results. Properly washing the rice prior to cooking is extremely important to avoid a ball of glue.

So far the taste has worked out good, but the consistency of the rice isn't quite right yet.

FWIW, fresh, sushi grade fish can be hard to come by. I don't think there's any place I can buy it here.

But when I go diving & spear some fish, presto! We have fresh, sushi grade fish
wink.gif

Species I shoot here that will work well include red & mangrove snapper, barracuda, flounder, sheepshead, triggerfish, greater amberjack, gag & black grouper.

When I have the fortune to travel south I can add hogfish to that list.

We have tuna in the gulf, but can't spear them in FL waters & I never see them on a dive. other possibilities are spanish mackerel, king mackerel, mahi mahi and wahoo, though we never see them inshore.

Stu, Sashimi is something I used to eat quite a bit back in calif, sunday fishing trips we ate it on the boat, from hook to knife. Man I miss those days.

I think a hagiri bowl for the rice preparation is important. You have to have a large enough bowl to spread it out in & cool it off.

about $25 or so for one of those.

sushi is coming out pretty good. I have the rice figured out now
wink.gif

I bought some fresh tuna, sweet shrimp & tako (octopus). Made some rolls with tuna, crab & masago (fish roe). Made the little rice cakes with shrimp, tako & tuna sashimi.

Dinner was a bit late & we wiped it out, so no pics this time.

That looks good enough to eat, Stu!

You know, I had a friend once that ate sushi quite a bit. She and her daughter had to go to the Dr.'s ofc. to get "wormed" about twice a year. I asked her why, I she said it was from eating all the raw fish...
sick.gif

I have two questions.

1) Is that true?

2) How did she know it was time to go get "wormed"?
grin.gif
(I couldn't bear to ask her that one.)
smirk.gif

well, at least she could serve as a source for fresh bait
wink.gif

That pic, everything is cooked.

Some salt water fish can parry parasites, freezing with take care of that. Tuna are not know to carry any.

fresh water fish can be a different matter. I know of a fluke that some FW fish can carry that's classed as a class one carcinogen, as they cause liver cancer. But they are only known to come from 3 parts of the world.

Back