37 grain Calhoon DHP bullets in the 22 K-Hornet

killerb8

I recently tried using 37 grain Calhoon DHP bullets in my custom Ruger 77/22 in 22 K-Hornet. I loaded 5 rounds each with Lil'Gun powder using 12 grains; 12.5 and 13 grains. Rather than starting with the 12 grain loads, I inadvertently started with the 13 grain loads. My once fired case separated on the first firing. The head came out when I ejected the case but the remainder of the case stayed in the chamber. The case was easy to remove. I cleaned the rifle. Then fired the 12 grain loads with no problem or any signs of high pressure. I have previously loaded 40 grain Hornady BT bullets with 13.5 grains of Lil'Gun with no high pressure signs. Does anyone have loading info for the Calhoon DHP bullets? I purchased 1,000 bullets. The 12 grain load shot approximately .78" but I did not have my chronograph with me so I don't know the velocity.

With the 37 grain Calhoons, I would have thought that the K-Hornet would handle Lil-Gun powder charges higher than 12.0 grains????
Something ain't right here...

Is it possible that you damaged the brass some when you fire formed it and then is seperated on the next loading ? I shoot those same bullets in my K-Hornet with more than 13 grains of lil gun and never had a problem .

This is a typical thing that happens when the headspace is too long upon firing from the parent case to the Ackley Case.

You must jam the lands hard with the bullet when fireforming and the only bullet you can do that with that I am aware of and still use the magazine is the Speer 40g Sp

Since it is a rimmed case, you should be able to just load the parent case and go, but there is also slop in the bolt face and thickness of the rim, which is where the case stretching may occur.

The other problem is that some of the Hornet brass is just defective, it is thin to begin with.

If the brass had ever been fired as a std hornet, you can bet the farm it is going to head seperate.

Good luck

I loaded some 22 K-Hornet loads with 11 & 11.5 grains of Lil'Gun (the same 37 grain Calhoon DHP) and went out this morning with my chronograph. These loads are 3,100 fps average?? Can you believe that. Anyway I settled on 11.0 grains. By the way I neck size only and when I said once fired cases, they were the first firing after fireforming the brass. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThis is a typical thing that happens when the headspace is too long upon firing from the parent case to the Ackley Case.

You must jam the lands hard with the bullet when fireforming and the only bullet you can do that with that I am aware of and still use the magazine is the Speer 40g Sp

That was exactly what I was thinking .

Back