.223 and 35 v-maxs??

Ornery have you ever shot anything with it. I would like to find something for a 1-8 that wouldn't tear a fox up.
Mike

Mike2,

I am working with a load of 10 gr. of Blue Dot and 35 gr. VMax's. This pushes the bullet at around 2500 fps (Hornet speed). Accuracy is around 1" at 100yds. The thing that really surprised me was that the point of impact only shifted about 1" at 100 yds. from my normal 60 gr. full power load. I am shooting this load from a 1-9" barrel.

I haven't drawn blood with it yet, but I am going to try it out on a family of ground hogs under my barn. If they don't blow up GH's they should be good for fox.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tntrapper could someone load a 35 v-max in a .223 ,, i heard that it would just blown up when it exits the barrel..

Isn't that a Hornet Bullet ??

Tntrapper, I had a .223 'slow twist' (1/14) barrel cut for using lighter weight bullets and tested both the 35gr and 40gr V-max bullets and found there was no real advantage to using the 35s over the 40s, other than saying I did it...

With that rate of twist, I can pump them up pretty well for 'shock' effect and not worry about them flying apart down range..Both weights had equal accuracy.

Hey Mike.. Yes I shoot lots of critters with the 40's. I have found that the Nosler BT's are not quite as destructive as the Vmax is up to coyote sized game. Rabbits, ground squirrels both get hammered pretty hard by both but the Nosler doesent tear them up as much from what Ive seen. Im shooting them out of a 1/8 Tikka and use about 27. gr of H 335. The 35 V Max I have loaded for my .22K Hornet and it is still more destructive than a BT in the same cartridge. I think that the short design of the 35 grn will make it hard to load if you want to reach the lands due to its short size. You may want to try some 35's and see what happens? Good Luck. and good Huntin..

Berger makes a .224 diameter 30 grain hollow point varmint bullet that has been a lot of fun and shoots quite well in my fireballs. This Berger bullet is not a short stubby bullet like the 35 grain vmax. It might be fun to give it a try if the vmax doesn't work out for ya.

I agree with Brent, My finding were very similar. I used 11.5 grains of bluedot, I used it on prairie dogs and it worked very well. When I ran out of the 35's, I went to the 40 grn vmax and never looked back. My little stevens 200 likes both loads. Thomas

Back