rem 6 1/2 primers revisted

bluealtered

I'll throw this out here on a jus cuz basis. I finally got to load up 10 .223 with rem 6 1/2 primers, this was a just grab some shells and put primers/powder/bullets in them and go shoot.

What i grabbed were some lc brass that had been shot more than a few times, of the 10, 7 of the primer pockets were on the lose side. I loaded 6 of the ten with 25grs of benchmark and 55gr vmax. The other 4 with 26.6grs of benchmark and 55gr vmax's.

Three of the 4 had lose pockets, 4 of the 6 had lose pockets, yes i should have used better brass but thats what was within reach, and it was use that or wait another week.

So anyway, I took the 4 hot ones first, loaded as sinlges just because. The first one shot fine, i did find the primer sitting on the ground, what quick a way to remove primers! (just kidding) The three with lose pockets blew the primers out, the normal pocket didn't. Non of the ten put a hole in the primer.

The next six with the 25gr load all did what they were supposed to, even the ones with the lose pockets. These were all shot through a bush predator ar, i had planned to take two other ar's with me but it didn't work out that way.

So for this ar, (predator) the primers look like they will work ok. How they will work for you may be different. blue

Last edited:
Why would you use an explosive (primer) for a purpose that the manufacturer explicitly states on the package and their website is not recommended? It's like saying that I drove 140mph down the highway today and my 100mph tires didn't blow out...

+1 Please let me know if you are ever in AZ. shooting... I'll stay home that day. Seems as though you might be a little willy nilly in your reloading practices. No offense, but I'll stay away.

you might try reading the fisrt post on rem 6 1/2 primers to put it in context before puffing out your little chest.

As for going 140mph, i do have a car made for that, and it has z rated tires on it, And i spent many years racing cars certified for over 230mph, how about you?

And since i have lived and hunted in your state and had a great time doing it, i may not feel the need to go there for some time. However, if i do i will certainly let you know in advance, i think it would be great if you were somewhere else as well. blue

Take it however you like but if you really think about it, that was an irresponsible post. There are a lot of new reloaders out there that could read your post and assume that the practice is acceptable. There are many reports of pierced primers when 6.5s are used with 223s. The box says don't do it. The manufacturer says don't do it. I would just hope that every beginning reloader understands that there are many potentially dangerous practices posted on the internet and that just because one or two people tried something once or twice and got away with it, that the 'lawyered up' manuals are that way for a reason.

I don't see your point he only posted the result of a test. Reloaders have been pushing the envolope for years and publishing it.
You better make sure nobody reads any Elmer Keith he was one of the masters of it.

CCI 400's are considered to be thin cup primers like the Remington 6 1/2's and I loaded a couple of thousand before I realized through reading on various websites that you were not supposed to use them in AR's as well.Never had any problems at all. I think that if you are not loading hot loads you will be fine. I know a guy who has been using the 6 1/2's in a .204 Ruger without a problem but he is loading well under max. I told him that he should switch to 7 1/2's and I am sure he will but not until he uses up the 6 1/2's he has.As mentioned above the most important thing is to realize that there is a difference between the two primers and posts such as this one are very helpful in making new reloaders aware of this.

Originally Posted By: DennyrI don't see your point he only posted the result of a test. Reloaders have been pushing the envolope for years and publishing it.
You better make sure nobody reads any Elmer Keith he was one of the masters of it.

Yep, Elmer blew up a lot of handguns too
smile.gif
I'm glad that he did or we wouldn't have my favorite pistol caliber, the 44Mag. Controlled experiments, performed safely, benefit all of us. Elmer and the like used a lot of cords pulling triggers behind shielding. Not the same thing we're discussing here. I would venture a guess that the majority of us are not interesting in pushing the envelope when it comes to explosives being ignited inches from our faces.

It is odd that the CCI400 primer cup is dimensionally identical to the 6.5s but I have never seen a warning regarding their use in a 223. I have shot thousands of CCI400s in ARs and bolt guns without a hint of a problem. Maybe it's a difference in the primer compounds.

I simply started this post as an observation on the use of the 6 1/2's because they seem to be what is coming around for a lot of areas.

I would think that anyone who is reloading has either taken the time to study what all the warnings and labels are about, or they shouldn't be reloading. I gave a lot of thought to this before posting, simply because i knew that someone would feel the need to jump up on their soapbox and say, ol my god no!

If you go back and read my post, you will see that at no time have i said it's ok to do this, simply that this was the results of my trying this. You should also note that i stated out front about using the cases that happened to have loose pockets.

I certainly think that anyone who has spent their hard earned money on these primers should have as much information as possible as to if they will work or not for this round, and as proven by others before me, they will work with a reduced load, even with loose pockets. blue

Blue thanks for the results of your expermint. I tried something simular with Federal 200 small rifle. Yes folks small rifle I know that they are now small pistol magnum but it was not always the case. My results were that they would work.

Back