cci 450 vs rem 7 1/2 BR

bushy

cant find any cci 450's but I did pick up some 7 1/2 BR primers...looks like I'll be shooting them for a little while. never used rem primers before, should I expect anything different from the 450's?

I would be surprised if you did. From the shortages on them they must be one of the most popular out there. I have not seen any available around here for over a year and I have been checking constantly. Thats what I use in my AR's for the most part. I am not nervous yet as I have about a year or so supply on hand.

Thanks DDJ,
very informative, I had not seen that one...looks like the 7 1/2 is very close to the 450 and almost identical to the BR4. Good to know, I just picked up 3000 7 1/2's today so it looks like that's what my tikka will be eating soon.

I got a 1000ct of the rem 7 1/2 only to find out they dont fit the 1x fired LC06 brass that I have very tight...some you can push in with your thumb..soo I went and picked up a couple hundred of the CCI450 and the fit it much much better...they are now my goto primer for my 223, at least with the LC brass I have. The 7 1/2 seem to work fine in my winchester brass.

Originally Posted By: bushycant find any cci 450's but I did pick up some 7 1/2 BR primers...looks like I'll be shooting them for a little while. never used rem primers before, should I expect anything different from the 450's?

I ended up in the same boat you are in. I found a thousand Rem 7 1/2 primers, and bought them so I'd have some primers to load with.
Over the last three weeks, I've been testing them. My go-to primers in the past have been Fed 205's and Winchester Small Rifle's.
Not all loads that I tested shot good, but I got a couple that will put the 7 1/2 in first place for accuracy, better than the primers I had been using.
I have the load test results down in my loading room and will have to go through it to find out specifically what loads shot great, and I'll pass that info on to you and others who have them and are looking for what works.
Keep in mind, just because they shot well in one of my rifles, doesn't mean they'll work in your rifle. But, my loads that do shoot would be a good starting point for you.
It will take me some time to go thru all of the targets, and I'll post about it later.
Also, back in the early 1970's when I was shooting Centerfire Benchrest competetively, all I used for primers was Rem 7 1/2's, and so did all of the other competitors. Then came along Federal, and the Federal's blew Rem primers out of the water. Don't recall what year that was, but I switched to Federals at that time and haven't used a Rem 7 1/2 since. One load that I remember shot well back then, and does so in my recent testing was for the 222 Rem. 19.5 grains of IMR-4198 and a good 50/52 grain bullet with the 7 1/2 sot extremely well, good enough to win matches back them, and still shoots today, with Berger 50 and 52 grain Varmint bullets.

Last edited:
450's are the hottest of the small rifle primers, bar none.

They also have the thick cup like the 7 1/2's, CCIbr4's, and the 41's.

If you have a custom rifle that shoots below 1/4", then you may be able to tell the difference. If you are satisfied with 3/4" groups, then you may not be able to tell the difference.

I worked up super accurate loads in my custom 223 and 223 AI's with CCIBR-4's and 7 1/2's that are interchangable. Groups opened up perhaps .100 at the most with the 450's.

The logical thing for me to have done was to drop the powder charge .5g to adjust for the hotter primer. Brother needed those 450's for his HBAR, so I never got the chance to work with them.

oh yeah,
went out to rio salado today to break in a new one and I brought along some of the "7 1/2" primed loads I made up to shoot against my 450 loads...should have tried them along time ago. .488 5 shot group right out of the gate....will post pics later.

Back