Tree squirrel hunters unite!

GC

I love to hunt the little bushytails. For many years I would take over 100 per season with a .22 rifle. I found it great practice for sharpening woodsmanship and marksmanship skills. I have a young man interested right now and intend to get him out as much as possible this fall. He took two with a 20 gauge shotgun last weekend... but he shot eight shots total with several misses. We are gonna work on that...
wink.gif

I could'nt imagine a year going by with out taking the scattergun out and getting a few squirrels for the table. I've always looked at it as being totally necessary to bring back eye and wood skills I've lost over the summer. So yes Squirrel Hunters Unite
drinking-smiley-22.gif

Originally Posted By: GCI love to hunt the little bushytails. For many years I would take over 100 per season with a .22 rifle. I found it great practice for sharpening woodsmanship and marksmanship skills. I have a young man interested right now and intend to get him out as much as possible this fall. He took two with a 20 gauge shotgun last weekend... but he shot eight shots total with several misses. We are gonna work on that...
wink.gif

where ya at in mo, i live in springfield. the mast down here and in mark twain by cabool is spotty.
this is my first year hunting squaks got about 15 so far. 5 with bolt action 20 ga and 9 or 10 with the 10/22.here is some i got a couple weeks ago
sq001.jpg

Last edited:
Marlin,
I like a "mess" of squirrels once in awhile too. Many of mine go to a couple of old fellers that just can't get out much anymore but still enjoy some squirrel on the table.

bluto,
I'm across the state from you. Like you, I am finding the mast to be spotty this year. There are squirrels this year, the numbers are high. They are really stacked up where you can find some mast, hickories and acorns.

I also start every year with squirrel's. Sept 15, mourning for squirrel afternoon for ruffed grouse.Scoped .22 is a great way to get real pratice for deer season. Last two year's my newest son-inlaw has gone out with my, this year will make three in a row.

Love hunting the little critters. Got me a marlin 917vs with a nikon 4 x 12 on it.
Need a wagon to haul it around but it sure makes the critters sick. Scope is a little over kill but it sure makes them bushytails look big and mean!

I am just waiting for the leaves to fall so the little buggers are easier to see. Squirrel hunting is one of my favorite things to do. I have a Marlin Model 917V with a Simmons Pro Hunter 3x9x40 on top. I also have a Smith and Wesson 22 A-1 with a BSA red dot that Im going to try and whack a few with this year. Josh

Nice to see that others enjoy hunting squirrels as much as
I do! They are one of my favorite animals to hunt. I use
a 17hmr or 20 gauge shotgun most of the time but I also
bring out the .22lr or .22 revolver once and awhile. Nothing
like a cool crisp fall morning when the leaves are falling
and the bushytails start coming out of the trees and then
the fun begins! I take out my nephews when I can and they
love it also!

our season opened 8/15 but this was the earliest(8/19) I could get out. the leaves are so thick I had to hunt on the outer perimeter of the woods just to be able to see them move.
I grew up squirrel hunting and it is still a passion for me.
08-19-2009002.jpg

08-19-2009001.jpg

well im gettin ready to go squak huntin this weekend, up towards clinton mo. ill post up pics when i get back. i had a tip they are real thick up that way.
cool.gif

I also enjoy hunting squirrels. I use a tricked out Ruger 10/22 and sometimes a Ruger Mark I.

This one was taken at nearly 50 yards.

DSCF0012-1.jpg

Last edited:
mb,
Great picture! I have an old Ruger MK I 5 1/2" bull barrel that has been reblued twice, I've used it that much. I've killed quite a few squirrels with it and iron sights. My favorite handgun for squirrels would be my S&W K-22. That is one slick revolver and as long as I do my part, it'll get it done.

I don't have many small game pictures, but here are a couple of squirrel pic's. This is a pile of grey's at the creek just before I cleaned them. That is a Thompson Center Classic .22 LR leaned over that stick. Later while I was cleaning those squirrels one of the biggest bobcats I've ever seen came slipping along the bank straight across from me. I went back in the winter and never called that cat, though I did kill several coyotes out of that spot. I think the cat was way up the mountain, there is a large boulder field way up high that big old boy probably hangs out in during the daylight hours. But is is a heck of a place to get to. Anyway, some squirrels...
18520Squirrels_at_the_creek.jpg

One of my all time favorite rimfires, a Marlin M39A. This old rifle runs back to the early 70's and has a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight. It's "good in the woods!"
18520Marlin_M39_and_squirrels.jpg

Those are great pics guys!

GC, I especially like yours with the rifle and game in front of the creek--that's a really nice shot...kinda makes you wish you could walk right into the scene!

Don't have any pics got to hot this afternoon had to get squirrels on ice but got 4bushytails with the Ruger 17HMR and new Burris scope and 17gr. V-maxs also on the way out of the woods called in and popped for crows! It was a great opening day can't wait to do it again in the morning. ~Marco

Bluto, im curious to see how your squirrel hunting went up this way. I have yet to get out this year. I like it when the leaves arent on the trees so I can set and wait for them. Not much of a spot and stalk kinda guy when it comes to squirrels. I like to challenge myself and go for the long shots. Whenever you get the chance lets see some picutes. Josh

mast is real good up there, squak are everywhere. they are hittin the pecans hard right now no need to spot and stalk. just sit up under a few pecans and they ll be there soon enough. ive shot about 10 this past weekend and my brother in law got (his first time)the other 2 got their limit of 6 fri sat and sun. all i can say is fryed squaks = GOOD
cool.gif

dont have pics yet, have to wait to get them from a freind.

I killed a limit today in the Mark Twain. But the hickory trees in my part of the forest just flat didn't make mast this year. The acorns are spotty too. I found a grove of white oaks that had a few nuts and it was full of the little buggers. I killed my limit and then went and got my dad because he wasn't doing any shooting where he was hunting and brought him in there and the old feller got four for himself.

Back