Rem 7 1/2 Primers

Martyn4802

Yesterday I promised to post what loads shot well using Rem 7 1/2 Primers. I couldn't find the thread where I made the promise, so I'll just list them on a new thread.
These loads were shot in a 222 magnum, which is very close to the 223. I interchange loads between the two chamberings as there's only one grain of water difference between the two in case capacity.
The first load that shot well was 27.5 grains of TAC with Sierra's 40 grain Blitz bullet and the 7 1/2 primers. Three shots into a 7/16" group at 100 yards.
The other was with Berger's 50 and 52 Varmint bullets, same powder and charge as above, that shot 3/8" groups at 100 yards.
TAC has been a very good powder for both the 223 and the 222 Rem Mag.
19.5 grains of IMR-4198 with Berger bullets again and Rem 7 1/2's shot around 1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards.
So, I found a good use for the Rem 7 1/2 primers I have.

I agree Remington 7 1/2 are top notch in fact they are the most popular with High Power shooters I read recently.

I just loaded up 9 different bullets for a standard 222 using the Rem 7 1/2's yesterday. Used two known good powders, IMR-4198 and RL-7.
I'll get out to shoot them later today, or tomorrow.
Looking at targets yesterday that I shot recently,several bullets showed up as being very accurate. One is Sierra's 45 grain 1310 bullet, and the others are Berger's 50 and 52 grain Varmints, along with Speer 50 gn TNT's and Nosler 50 grain BT.

I have never had a problem with 7 1/2s. I use them in my 222's and two 222 rem mag's with no problems at all. There seems to be quite a tussle on 6 1/2's going on just above you here although I've never had a problem with those either in the 222's but have in the mag

Along with the Rem 7 1/2's, I've been testing several other primers as I have small quantities of each; Rem 6 1/2's being one of them. Have not found a load that shoots well with the 6 1/2's.
Also, the other primers in the mix are CCI-400's, CCI-BR-4's and Winchester WSR's.

In working up a load for one of my 204s years ago I discovered the accuracy difference in the 7 1/2s. I was using CCISRBR primers at the time. I have never seen a primer change make so much difference.

Since then I have tested them against all other small rifle primers and the Rem 7 1/2 is equal to, or usually beats them. I am using them in all my 223s and 20 cal guns.

Jim

Back