Help with rings

shooter44n45

A little preface...

I injured my shoulder playing ball with our kids this spring and I will be unable to bow hunt and its iffy if I can shoot a shotgun (slugs only in our state). I picked up a Nikon Monarch to toss on top of my .44 BlackHawk.

I need opinions on GOOD rings that will hold it all together.
I was going to go with Burris but do I want the Zee rings or the SIGNATURE Zee rings? Im using a Weaver mount that only allows for 2 rings, so clamping power is going to trump all else.

Thanks

I've had very good luck with Signature Zee rings. Those inserts seem to really grab hold of the scope and keep it in place. Of course, a properly lapped pair of rings with friction paper would probably do just as good, you just have to work a little.
smile.gif

I've got a pair of these on one rifle. Huge bearing surface on the scope. You'll want to make sure the front-back depth doesn't cause a problem, though. On a short rail, you might not be able to get them far enough apart to clear the turret assembly.
Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings & Bases

Lap them correstly and I doubt they would slip. Might look a bit "massive" on a pistol, if that matters. I just went and measured mine and they are 1.00" front-back.

Quote:I have them on my .308

I have them on my 10/22, due to the "massive" recoil.
laugh.gif

Okay, I probably overdid it a bit, but whatever.
crazy.gif

The scope ain't gonna slip.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI've got a pair of these on one rifle. Huge bearing surface on the scope. You'll want to make sure the front-back depth doesn't cause a problem, though. On a short rail, you might not be able to get them far enough apart to clear the turret assembly.
Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings & Bases

Lap them correstly and I doubt they would slip. Might look a bit "massive" on a pistol, if that matters. I just went and measured mine and they are 1.00" front-back.

They are made for a Picatinny rail, will they fit a weaver style base? I thought they were the same but not sure.

They should. The only real difference is that the cross-pin might not clear, and you can open the slot slightly with a file if needed.
Mine are mounted to a Picatinny base so I can't say for sure.
I'd say 95% of the time, it's not a problem.
Need some measurements? My rings are off the rifle, I can give you specs real easy if needed.

Quote:The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the Weaver rail is the size of these slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of 0.180 in (4.572 mm), but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206 in (5.232 mm) and the spacing of slot centers is 0.394 in (10.008 mm).[1] Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.[1]

picatinnydiagram.gif

edit: They'll fit, Burris slotted their cross-pin and it's only .150 front-back and has a nice, square profile along one edge. If you bump them against the rail right, they won't try and "climb" under recoil. Pretty smart of them.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Back