.....what spottin scope (s) do you use...

Chapped Lips

optics on firearms was discussed in Mr. Mock's post...how bout spottin scopes?...i started with a $130 bushnell from cabellas & right away "saw" it was a terrible mistake...decided to save for a better package and got a Swarovski AT80...fabulous optics but it was long & HEAVY...so i got a B&L 16x to 45x...and was very happy...used the Swar for crater gazing on the moon...but then Swar came out with the new AT line...hey,padded &compact...sold the 1st Swar and got the ATS 80....optics just tad below the old AT80 but these will work til i'm earthworm chowder.

Last edited:
CL - glad you posted this as I don't have a spotting scope yet. I did more or less what you did at first, but was so disappointed with whatever it was I got (bushnell or something) that I returned it. Never did buy one.

I've wanted one for watching the paper for target practice and sighting in. Not much one for glassing the landscape yet though. What do you use your Swar for most?

My first was a Bushnell also. Nice size/wt but the optics left something to be desired. Made the mistake of looking through a guys Leupold 12-40X at the range one day and never recovered enough to keep using the Bushnell. What's another several hundred dollars between friends anyway?

Sendit223...i've used it on deer,antelope,elk,desert bighorn and coyotes...rancher cudn't believe i was using a spot'n scope for coyotes...initial scouting....oh yeah, still gazin' at moon craters...

Last edited:
Trapper2...i have 2 buddys that use that unique look'n leupold and they love em....we hav swapped off and it's a fabulous spottin scope....and the bausch&lomb 15x-45x is no slouch either...perfect for weight restricted hunts&you can use a lighter weight tripod...looked at burris and weaver units in same price range but my eyes felt B&L was brighter.

Last edited:
Pentax 20x60 80mm ED. Its big and heavy, and I love it. The eyepiece is gigantic, I use a beer can coozie as a slip on cover for it, fits perfect. This one aint for backpacking!

www.betterviewdesired.com (a bird watching site) used to have very extensive reviews on spotting scopes, they named the Pentax as the "reference standard" by which they judged the others. About half the price of a Swaro.

I've got the Nikon 20-60x60 Fieldscope III ED...simply AWESOME piece of glass. Also used as the Reference Standard on Better View Desired . I think the only scope he rated higher in the 60-65mm objective class was the Swaro HD, and that was basically becuase of slightly better color definition for digiscoping, if I remeber correctly.

Back