vmax, how far off??

kyotekiller25

Been shooting my browning a bolt 22-250 a little bit lately with some 55g vmax and H380 and W760 powder. Been getting .75" 3 shot groups from a bench at 100 yards with the better loads, on up to 1.5" or so for the not so good ones. I think if I tinker with my seating depth, I should be able to get it down to at least 1/2". Its been kinda windy lately, usually 10 mph crosswind, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the good loads still.

I have found both nodes for each powder, so now I need to find the sweet spot for the seating depth. Anything above or below these charge weights and groups open up considerably. Right now, these are printing .6"-.8", with them all doing 2 in and 1 out.

With H380 my node is very short from 37.5g-37.8g and is around 3525fps.

With W760, my node is a bit longer from 37.9g-38.8g and again right at 3525-3550fps.

I am .010" off right now, but I am seeing somewhat of the typical 2 in 1 out, its not bad, but noticable. My OAL is 2.490" at the moment which puts me roughly .010" off. I started them at 2.5" which was at the lands, but back down to 2.490" shortly after I had a bullet get stuck.

So I guess my question is where do you guys set your vmax's typically off the lands to get them shooting the best??

I read an article on the VLD's saying to jump in .040" increments. I know the vmax is a totally different bullet but was thinking of doing something along those lines. I was thinking .040" at a time would be to much, but they say your rifle will defintaely show a preference for 1 of the lengths, then you could fine tune in .005 or .010" increments.

So I was thinking of going 2.450", 2.410", 2.370", and 2.350" which is the SAAMI oal with each of the 2 powders.

I think I'll concentrate around 37.5g of H380 and 38.5g of W760 and try those 4 different seating depths in groups of 3 next week and hopefully I can get it shooting dime size groups which I"m pretty sure its capable of doing.

Cases are fully prepped Winchester, weight sorted to within 1g, (out of 200 I got 100) trimmed, chamfered, debured, primer pockets cleaned, flash holes deburred, powder weighed on the dot every time. Am using Winchester Larger rifle primers. Did minimal testing with a few fed210's and my rifle definately showed a preference towards winchesters.

Have you tried any other powders? I shoot a HB Tikka T-3 and use 52gr. Bergers and Varget powder, .010 off the lands and it shoots 5 shot bugholes at 100yds.(But not all day long)LOL

Makes sure whatever your seating at you can still fit them in the Magazine otherwise you will end up with a single shot. This dictates what you can seat at more than anything else.

My 308 if I seat to the lands they won't fit in the Magazine.

My 223 if I seat to the lands they are tight but they still fit.

I can hit the lands and still fit and function in the mag box. Its a pretty long magazine for a 22-250. 2.5" I am at the lands, but had a bullet get stuck so I backed down to 2.490" which is around .010" off. So really, I can only go 1 way and thats deeper.

I have found a great load with 35g of IMR-4895 with the 55's that shoots 3675fps and .5" groups, but unfortunately ran out of 4895. I had pretty much a whole pound of H380 and W760 so I thought I'd try to find something with it. My rifle seems to prefer the IMR-4895 though with both 50g and 55g vmax. I get more speed with better accuracy. Once I shoot this ball powder up I'll get a couple pounds of 4895.

With my 4895 load though, it shoots great at 2.490" which is where I've done all my testing with 50g and 55g vmax. For some reason, these ball powders aren't liking that length with this bullet.

50g vmax and H380 shoots pretty good as well at 2.490"

What's the twist on that Browning? Many shooters, myself included, have had problems getting the 55 grain plastic tipped bullets to shoot consistantly out of the 1-14" twist barrels that most 22-250's use. Try some 55 grain hollow points or soft points to see if there is any difference.

The lightest that I ever got my Rem's to shoot the 55's was 39.g of 760, and one liked 41.5 with the 55g Nosler Combined Tec bullet. Primers are flat as a pan cake, but no extraction issues or case head scuffing.

I would seat the bullets to just barely touch the lands, and not jump them.

VLD bullets need to be seated touching the lands, especially because it is so easy for them to get started crooked in the throat as the bullet starts to engage the rifling.

When you have an issue of two in and one out, it is usually a mechanical issue. Bedding and freefoating the barrel are in question.

Also, changing to a different brand of primer could solve that issue, but bedding or barrel touching is ususlly the issue.

Many shooters have had issues with the 55g Noslers in their 14 twists. You should try the 55g Sierra BTHP which is a super accurate bullet, also try the Nosler 50g BT along with the Sierra 50g SP which is one heck of a yote bullet.
41.5g of 760 with the 50's is the accuracy load in my current Stainless 22/250 sporter barrel, approach with caution.

Every A bolt that I have ever worked with demanded that the bullet touch the lands, no matter what the caliber. Of course, yours may be the exception. As a general rule of thumb, 22 centerfires do not like Jamming the lands hard, they like touching.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back