killflash options

Oregon310

Has anybody found a killflash option for a decent price ? The leupold M4 screw in kind are like $ 129.00 . That's a little more than I want to pay. So how do you do it on the cheap ? Has anybody tried the kind that fit in the butler creek caps ? I think they go by the size of BC cap your scope takes, then you stuff them in the cap before you install the cap on the scope ? Those type look like they are around $20, something I can live with.

Anybody with input/experience or ideas, please chime in.

Thanks

Quote:Has anybody tried the kind that fit in the butler creek caps ? I think they go by the size of BC cap your scope takes, then you stuff them in the cap before you install the cap on the scope ? Those type look like they are around $20, something I can live with.

Yep, I'm using those on 2 rifles. They kill the reflection, but you will see some distortion if you either look nearly into the sun, or look up at a bright sky.

Of course without it, if you look near into the sun you get horrible tube reflections and blooms and I'm not shooting at helicopters (this week, anyway), so it's moot.
wink.gif

It probably reduces the light-gathering ability of my scope somewhat, too. Being as how I can pull it off in 5 seconds and stick it in my pocket, I can cure that right quick if desired.

Cheap kill-flash, I've got maybe $30 in it.

Even the ARD for the Leupold's are less than $70 at Midway. Where are you getting $129 at? Be careful, I think they're all made by SunGuard. $129 just sounds like crazy talk.
crazy.gif

Is this what you're looking for?

SunGuard killFlash ARD (Anti-Reflection Device) Leupold MK 4 and 3 Turret Tacticals 40mm Objective

The one at Midway isn't made by Leupold. Not that it matters to me, I just hadn't seen that one. $129 is the price from leupold & the other online places I looked at. I found them under Leupold scopesmith ARD. There is a cheap stick it in type leupold, but it is only for the 40mm scopes. The x50 scopes all use the m4 part numbers. I did find some screw in ones at impact guns for $49.99 & $53.99, but they don't say what size they are for.

So you are using the tenebraex sunguard type that slip inside the scope cover ? If that is working for you, I think I'll try it for the money. I have to find the size of cover for my scopes in x40, x50 & x56. It seems like every time I use their size chart it never fits. I think I'll carry my scopes into the store & try them on like shoes until I get one that is tight.

Thanks for the help

Here's another one from midway that says mark 4 & costs $ 129.00, but its made by Leupold
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=992981

Last edited:
Quote:I have to find the size of cover for my scopes in x40, x50 & x56.

I ended up with about 3 or 4 Butler Creek flip-ups that won't fit anything I have after using their size charts to order, those are pretty useless. I was unimpressed with the locking mechanism, too, pretty weak design.

However, if you're just using them to retain the ARD, it really doesn't matter much. That honeycomb stops the rain pretty well, so I just took the flip-up part off.

Quote:The one at Midway isn't made by Leupold.

Yeah, but is the one at Leupold made by Tenebraex ?

From the pictures, they look identical to me.
crazy.gif

This is one of those situations where you would like to see the two side-by-side.

Quote:I think I'll carry my scopes into the store & try them on like shoes until I get one that is tight.

That would have saved me about $30.

Quote:So you are using the tenebraex sunguard type that slip inside the scope cover ?

Yep. The thin ones, I've got one on a Nikon Monarch and one on a Leupold Vari-X II. They kill the objective lens reflection, which is all I was wanting to accomplish.

my x56 scope uses a #51 cap & sunguard doesn't go that big. Now what ?

You are right I think, they all appear to be made by tenebraex.

Quote:my x56 scope uses a #51 cap & sunguard doesn't go that big. Now what ?

Try stretching a piece of pantyhose over the objective bell and securing it with a rubber band. See if that doesn't kill the glare without screwing up the clarity of your scope.
If that doesn't work out, you might buy the biggest one they have and a roll of 1/4" masking tape and wrap it till it fits.

It's too bad they don't make one that big. What a PITA, eh?

Last edited:
Back