I need a rangefinder........

Quote:Thanks for the input guys. Leica it is. I will have to wait til I got the cash.

In the long run, I doubt you'll ever regret that.

Cornstalker: You don't have to break the bank to get Leica precision (and they are) if you can stand the bulk, watch for a used LRF. I believe they are the same technology. I saw a used set go for $275 a couple of days ago. You could get your money back out of them later and upgrade to a CRF when you have the cash. You won't be sorry you got the Leica's.

I can offer nothing but kudos for the Leica. I have the 900, ranges very well and I noticed a comment above about being waterproof. Mine was flooded in my basement and completely underwater. I feared the worst but the unit was completely dry internally and worked flawlessly. I was extremely impressed. Can't say the same for some Bushnell binos that got the same treatment.

I have a Bushnell 1500 and find it is all I need. I have never shot anything over 300 yards. The unit reads well in all weather conditions. Mine has the angle compensation with bow or rifle, in testing from tree stands up to 25 feet there is no difference in range within my 40 yard self imposed limits for shots. Well maybe a yard when high up and target is at my limits. With the trajectory of my rifles out to my limits it may have a practical use if the target was 300 ft above or below me but it is not a necessary option. Just so happened that it came with my unit. I did not get the Leupold because the read out was so darn busy. Numbers and characters all around the display hardly readable. I also liked the Leica but not the price for what I wanted to use it for.

I just bought the nikon 550 range finder and a prostaff 3x9-40 scope for $279 form cabelas with a $50 gift card to nikon pro gear. One of the best purchases i've made in a long time.

I bought the Leica LRF 800 new for $225.
The 8X glass is very clear. It will work for a mini-bino.
I have seen the new CRF 900 on sale for $429.
Ck on 24hrcampfire

Last edited:
Leupold RX-III

Don't buy it. I can rarely get a reflective response at greater than 300 yards on anything.

The first time I have been disappointed in Leupold.

My old bushnell 800 still is my turn to rangefinder

I have the Nikon Buckmaster 600 and a Leica 1200 CRF. The Nikon does a pretty good job out to 500 or so but will not consistently range game sized targets much past that. All in all it is a really good rangefinder for the money and has been a really nice unit for bowhunting.

The Leica speaks for itself, I have been amazed at the clarity, compact size, and range that it has. It is definetly one of those expensive purchases that you really don't regret after you get it out in the field...

Originally Posted By: tt35Cornstalker: You don't have to break the bank to get Leica precision (and they are) if you can stand the bulk, watch for a used LRF. I believe they are the same technology. I saw a used set go for $275 a couple of days ago. You could get your money back out of them later and upgrade to a CRF when you have the cash. You won't be sorry you got the Leica's.

I'll be looking. A buddy of mine and I ranged a rock face at 1100 yards with the LRF 900. Don't know how accurate it was, but I was impressed.

This is some durn good input. Thanks everyone.

Does the Leica 1200 CRF have a loop for a neck stap/lanyard to be attached?

Looks like the way to go to me. Anybody know who currently has the best price on one?

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKDoes the Leica 1200 CRF have a loop for a neck stap/lanyard to be attached?

Looks like the way to go to me. Anybody know who currently has the best price on one?

The CRF does have a lanyard hole for a strap of some sort, it also comes with a nylon belt case that is pretty functional as small as it is.

I picked mine up at Opticsplanet, they have no taxes and free shipping so it was a little cheaper than most places I looked.

Thanks cbosshog79,

Looks good to me. You figure the CRF 1200 is worth the additional $100 over the CRF 900?

I see Cabela's has the CRF 1200 on sale for $599 and the CRF 900 for $499. If I picked one up at the new store in Billings it would mean no shipping and no sales tax.

Back