down loads for the 223

yottee

I am looking to get hornet speeds from a 223.Would like to have between 2300fps-2500fps.I have seen on other forums that some people are using pistol powders.Is this safe.The one that I am looking at is 10gr.IMR4227 pushing the 35gr V-Max around 2400fps.Will be loading for a savage 26in barrel.

I have only used Blue Dot in that role and find it a great powder for reduced loads.Its very consistant,clean and accurate.You can load from 22mag velocity to almost standard velocity loads.You need to work up and down slow and watch for pressure signs.I use it between 2500-3200fps
And have no problems getting 1/2"groups with 40,45,50 and 55 grain bullets.If you do some serching you will find info on load recomendations.It has become my most used powder for 223.But its rare for me to get shots over 150yrds where I hunt.I have checked my 3200fps 40gr.v_max load at 200yds and its still very accurate at that distance.
Bob.

Yottee,

I have recently been playing with reduced .223 loads, all are using Blue Dot. Here is what I have found and the bullets that have given me the best accuracy so far. Use at your own risk/descretion.

=22 LR 4 gr. of BD 45gr HP/Bee Hornady 1200FPS

=22 Mag 7 gr. of BD 45gr SP Sierra 2000FPS

=22 Hornet 10 gr. of BD 45gr. SP Sierra 2500FPS

=221Fireball 13 gr. of BD 45gr. SP Sierra 3000FPS

Notes:

I am just starting testing with various bullets. I plan on writing a full post when I have had a chance to test more bullets.

My Lyman 55 powder measure doesn't handle light fluffy powders at all. I use an old set of Lee drippers to get close and then trickle up to the correct weight.

I have tried 35 gr. VMAX, but can't get any accuracy out of them. It's probably because I can get anywhere near the lands with them.

All of my testing has/will be done with a 26" varmint barreled Savage and my walking rifle, a sporter weight Savage with the barrel cut down to 18".

Blue Dot burns so quickly, that there is not much difference between the two barrel lengths.

Use head shots only if you use the 22LR for squirrel (tree rats) hunting. A body shot doesn't leave much for eating.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. A DOUBLE CHARGE WILL EASILY FIT IN A 223 CASE AND WILL EASILY PUT YOUR RIFLE IN THE TRASH CAN AND YOU IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!

Last edited:
FWIW - Hodgdon is now listing SOME reduced loads with their powders - I believe they are now showing some of the pistol powders with a 55 gr. FMJ for reduced loading. Also, if you can find some of the older Speer, Lyman or Lee Reloading Manuals, they usually show reduced loads - some with jacketed and some with cast bullets. Powders like IMR 4759 and 4756 were for these uses at the time. 5744 from AA was one I've seen data for too - check out AA's site for info. 22 cal. cast gas-checked lead bullets can be found, but not just anywhere. I had a pack from a guy here in PA that casts them, and a friend gave me a few too - I haven't tried either yet . And of course, Blue Dot's been all the rage lately for these uses - check out the articles on James Calhoon's site. . Try 'em out with reliable data and let us know your results. FWIW.

Thanks for the info,after some phone calls I find that blue dot is hard to come by around here.I went ahead and used the IMR4227.10GR with the little 35gr V-Max.I loaded up some of the 55gr V-Max last week so using the same seating die setting, I am assuming the ogive would be or close to the same,loaded 5 and went to see how they did.1st shot at 75yds was 2in low.cranked the Millitt up abit and put the next 4 in a little ragged hole.My son should be a chipmumks worst nitemare this weekend.Thanks again for the info guys.

Back