vortex viper

ihatecali

repost, but i think it belongs on this forum better than other equipment

im lookin at putting a vortex viper 6.5x20x44 md on my ar-15, i already have a bushnell 3x9x40 on it for when im calling dogs but i want a good longrange scope. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these scopes, i've been hearing really good things about them and there warranty is 2nd to none. plus i can get one for about $450. what do you think. i was also considering the sightron s2.

thanks!

While I'm impressed with the Vortex brand, I don't have any experience with one...

My reason for jumping in is to say that I have three different optic set-ups for one of my ARs and strongly recommend using the Warne Quick Detach rings if you are going to be changing them out on a regular basis..If you only change by the season, it may not be worth the extra expense to you..

My DPMS is set up for "action" competition shooting and there are times when it's more advantagous to use my EO-Tech, or my 2-7x, or my 6.5-24x and I need to be assured that the "Zero" remains constant between switches..The Warne QD Rings haven't let me down yet..

Originally Posted By: ihatecalirepost, but i think it belongs on this forum better than other equipment

im lookin at putting a vortex viper 6.5x20x44 md on my ar-15, i already have a bushnell 3x9x40 on it for when im calling dogs but i want a good longrange scope. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these scopes, i've been hearing really good things about them and there warranty is 2nd to none. plus i can get one for about $450. what do you think. i was also considering the sightron s2.

thanks!

I recently purchased the same scope, if the one you're looking at has side parallax adjustment. Unfortunately I haven't really used it much. I've got it mostly sighted in, but still need to fine tune it.

My first comment would be if you're thinking about putting it on a carbine, DON'T !!! Physically, it's too much scope for anything but a 20" or longer bbl.

So far, I'm really impressed with it for the money. It's built like a tank, and looks like it could take a tremendous amount of abuse for a lot of years. Optically it's almost as good as my VX111 long range, with varmit hunting reticle, for a whole lot less $$. I like the turrents very well also.

I have a 10 year old flattop carbine, that I hadn't shot in almost 10 years. So, I thought I'd put it in use, and didn't have any extra scopes laying around, so I thought I'd try the Viper.

I really have no negatives about the scope, other than what I stated above.

Hangtime

I was impressed with the glass for the money, don't know about long term reliabilty but first glance they seemed well built.

Back