Millett Scope experience

Blackburn

Anybody out there have any experience with Millett scopes? The Buck Gold Varmint in 4-16x or 6-25x 56mm is the model I've been lookin at. I have been a diehard Leupold fanatic for years but I'm anxious to start shooting a new .22-250 with a 26" bull. I can't afford to drop the cash for the Leupold I want at the moment and I thought about trying something a little less expensive to get this rifle goin sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I love my 6x25x56 for the price. I have the new generation and would not buy the old one. The newest scopes have locking turrets, which is a big plus. They are also very heavy. If you are a diehard Leupold guy and are looking for an equal to that, I would say you should save for a leupold. If you just want a clear side focus scope that gathers light well, I think you'll be happy. Millett was recently bought by Bushnell, so you will be dealing with them now when you call customer service. Hope that helps

I don't own one but a hunting friend of mine purchases them regularly for his rifles. Never heard him say anything but positive things about them. His scopes have similar magnification as you mention though I don't know if they are the same models you indicate.

If you are talking about the one that is on sale for $179.00, it doesn't have locking turrets, you can only have the plex reticle, but it is the new generation & side focus. That being said, if I needed another scope, I would jump all over the top of that deal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.
I was hoping for some more first hand positive comments. I am a diehard Leupold user and I would not be satisfied with so-so clarity.

Originally Posted By: BlackburnThanks for the link.
I was hoping for some more first hand positive comments. I am a diehard Leupold user and I would not be satisfied with so-so clarity.

I would advise you to pass on the Millet......I have had 2 and gotten rid of 1 and the other is unused....I would say for the money they are on par with others in the price range, but there is no magic, same ole line........you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: Double_D
Blackburn said:
there is no magic, same ole line........you get what you pay for.

That right there is the best advise a person can get when buying a scope I think. Most people have one or two cheap ones that we like, but there are ten other guys that hate them. Most of us have atleast a small pile of junk scopes laying around that we tried. I guess that's why we buy more 22lr's, so we have a place to store "non majic" scopes.

Can't speak for the upper magnification range but I do have a DMS 1-4x30 Ill. It has been great, period. Clear and sharp, repeatable adjustments, survived a solid "oops" in the field and held zero.

B

Quote:...but I do have a DMS 1-4x30 Ill. It has been great, period.

I've heard that from other owners, too. I really like the power range and reticle in that scope, I'm thinking about buying one for my latest AR build.
That's a real low-budget replacement for an EOTech with magnifier combo, and it's much more compact.

Bushnell recently purchased Millett, whether that changes the quality and customer service for better or worse I have no idea.

The rifle I'm lookin to scope is a Remington VSSF in .22-250 and after putting a bit more thought into the optics I think I'm going to keep it all(bases,rings and scope) matte silver. I just went today and handled a few scopes I was interested in. After much comparison shopping I have it narrowed to a few choices that are available with the silver finish in the power range I'm after, again any comments or experience posts are much appreciated.

Scopes I have no experience with:

Nikon titanium 5.5-16.5x44 (plex reticle only option I think)

Sightron 6-24x42(plex or 1/4 moa reticle)

And the one I liked the best of coarse the most expensive of these choices:

Zeiss MC Conquest 6.5-20x50 (mil-dot reticle also my personal favorite)

Although it may seem the Zeiss is the best choice it cost about twice as much as the others. As I previously stated I'd like to be able to start shooting this rifle ASAP and the added cost would likely keep the Remington in the safe for at least another month.

Last edited:
We've sold several of the New Millets with the locking turrets...so far have not heard any negatives about the scopes...other than it being a heavy dude....put the sun shield on it and it looks like a grenade launcher! ! !

Back