53 gr. TSX

Landrum

At 223 velocities (from a 1-9 twist barrel) will the 53 gr TSX open up consistently on coyotes and deer or would it be more prone to sailing on through with little damage?

Landrum

Depends on where you hit 'em, of course. I don't know much about shooting coyotes with TSX's, but I know a LOT of guys who shoot deer with 62gr TSX's. None of them use 53's. I just picked up 5 boxes of 70gr a while back. May actually hunt deer with an AR for the first time in my life........

Landrum...i would trust that Brooks&crew researched that design in that weight...as stated depends on where ya smack'em...x bullets don't explose;they penetrate...very fur kind,my guess...and easy on tissue (chops,roasts)...my results with heavier weights & larger calibers produce very little jello.

Last edited:
I've shot a couple coyotes and a fox with the 62gr TSX in .223 and they all left about a quarter size exit. Shots were between 50 and 150 yds. I'm curious if they'd still open up at 250yds. The 62gr TSX is the same length as hornady 75gr BTHP. Ryan

Well you see I originally purchased them for my 22/250. I thought I had read that a typical 1-14" twist would stablize them but in the Barnes manual it says that (under 22/250 info.) the rifle must have a 1-12" or faster to stabilize the 53 gr. TSX.

So, I have a 223 with a 1-9" that I thought about using them for, hence, my question regarding 223 velocities.

Landrum

Last edited:
Back