What was your first kill, with a bow?

a robin in my back yard mama got mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif dad was trying to be proud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Bow hunting frustrates me to no end. For one reason or another I am always just out of range for deer or there isn't a good shot. My first bow kill was a turkey. At the time I was using expandable broad heads and they didn't do enough damage to the bird. Fortunately the wing was damaged as the arrow exited the chest. 20 mins later I chased it down and gave it a whack. Hopefully my deer cherry will pop this fall.

In 1986 soph year in college I killed a doe with a bear whitetail, bear razor broadhead, bear aluminum arrow, and glove shooting instinctively. Quartering away. Went to go get my buddy and found the deer right off the logging road.

A small buck. I actually missed the first time at 10 yds. Shot right over top of him. There were 3 deer and they ran about 25 yds and stoped. Just stood there looking around. The small buck steped into an opening and I drilled him on the second shot. There were only 2 days until the season closed. After hunting so hard that year I felt like I had a B & C. Nothing like your first with a bow.

I was lucky, my first kill with a bow was a nice 10 point whitetail buck. It netted 128 5/8. It was back in the late 80's. I shot it in the neck, right thru its wind pipe. It never bolted, it keep on walking, sneezing up mists of blood. It's still my largest to date with a bow.

I remember shooting a rabbit one time with a field tipped arrow in the neighborhood and boy did that thing make a racket! My first deer kill was a nice 8 point buck, shot with a 90lb. Point Blank bow, while standing in a ten foot ladder stand along a fence row!

lst, a little whitetail spike, 2nd a 54in wide moose, 3rd a 7x7 elk, 4th a rabbit, 5th a cow elk, but remember I have a bunch of "I almost" stories.

We had a serious skunk problem, DEC would not touch them with a 50-foot pole, tried trapping one, then didnt try that again. So i got a Bladerunner bow and began taking them late in the evening with a Red spot light. 15 in 12 days. Took a while to get the stink off the arrows though

Same as landen, I was about 8 years old and shot a robin with an old hand me down banana yellow recurve and a wooden arrow with the tip broken off.

never could hit a darn thing with the bear recurve me and my friends use to shoot
alot of rabbits laughed and laughed at us
but the whitetail doe sure didn't laugh when I shot her with my Browning x-cellerator compound

Decent sized doe with a Bear whitetail, 125 gr Muzzy. Bow had no let off, but it shot great. Doe made a dash over a steep drop and crashed into alot of thicket. I think I left my own blood trail dragging it out of there.

I believe it was a grey squirrel about 30 yds away with a Bear Polar LTD turned way down. Ruined the whole quiver full of arrows trying to finish him off. I was about 10 yrs old. After that it was a bunch of carp at the river with the same bow and a cheap bear fishing rig. Good times.

I made my first bow kill when I was 13 with a pse nova. It was one [beeep] of a day actually. I was just getting used to using a climbing tree stand as it was my first year bow hunting so as I was climbing up the tree at about 15' the bottom fell out from under me. I think it took me like a half an hour to figure out how to get back down. I Quickly realized why my father had his both sections tethered together. After I finally made it back up the tree I was sitting for maybe an hour when I had a 5 point still in velvet come strolling down the gutter right towards my stand. He stopped within 20yds quartering away so I let him have it. He maybe ran 30yds up the gutter and dropped over dead. well after I got down from the tree I laid my bow down and took off most of my clothing as it was rather warm out since it was the beginning of bow season. As soon as I squatted down to start field dressing the deer I heard a rustling in the thicket about 30yds from me. Wouldn't you know it a very nice 8pt in velvet stepped out of the thicket and there I stood with only my knife. Yeah that's right my bow was still setting at my tree stand.
I learned a few very important things that day and am still kicking myself in the [beeep] for it.

A fork horned muley buck. Same on the scoreboard as my first significant rifle kill. The only difference was that I didn't miss the 30 yard shot with a bow like I did with a rifle........

Shot one more with a Longbow after that and that was it. I loved that bow, it was a Saxon that was 62# @ 26". Started having shoulder problems and sold it. That was that.

Still working on my 1st
laugh.gif

first with a bow was a 2x3 muley.
killed many many red squirrels with a wrist rockit with roofing nails as the projectile, then i went to crossman air rifles
i picked up a bow when i was 25 yrs old i've been hooked ever sence

Back