varget/benchmark

bluealtered

I ran off a batch of .223's with varget the other day and after shooting 40-50 of them, it seems to shoot a little dirty'er than my loads with benchmark. Has anyone else been using varget with their .223, and how is it working for you? blue

I went from shooting H335, Win 748, 322 to using benchmark in my 223 and could not believe how much dirtier it was than the other powders that I have been using for 20+ years.

You say that Varget is dirtier than Benchmark, eh?

I have used all of the above. I just picked up 8 lbs. of TAC for my AR-15 a while back for the specific reason that it burns cleaner than ALL of them........

It always makes me wonder when I see Posts like.. " This is the Cleanest Powder". Its such a bold statement. Makes me wonder if the Rifle it is being shot in is using a different Primer? So to cast out theories like that, it must boil down to what the rest of the components are for that particular rifle? This is Kewl.. Now I know with regardless of anything else I use.. I now have the cleanest Powder!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI went from shooting H335, Win 748, 322 to using benchmark in my 223 and could not believe how much dirtier it was than the other powders that I have been using for 20+ years.

You say that Varget is dirtier than Benchmark, eh?

Yep I had the same experience!! It was extremely dirty in everything I tried it in..I got about 40 pounds i'd sell LOL

Bold statement from someone who has at least 30 different powders on hand and uses them all. TAC burns cleaner than ANY of the afforementioned powders. PERIOD. Don't ever start confusing me for one of the general public.........
grin.gif

I don't have the experience between the powders but can say that I've only tried Benchmark in my 223. First loaded rounds got me shooting 5/8" once I found the charge my rifle likes. Shooting prone off a backpack. I don't shoot high volume so dirty is fine by me.

My word is by no means gospel, this is just my results. I like it!

Adam

No i'm not saying varget is dirtier, it simply looked that way with that rifle, on the other hand that ar hadn't been out of the safe for a year either.

I guess that means i have to do a super clean between test rounds, that means i will just have to shoot more! rats! blue

Primers, bullets, barrel length, etc... all affect whether a powder makes a barrel look clean or dirty.

Same rifle, same barrel, H335 is dirty with standard primers and clean with mag primers. W748 is dirty with 50gr bullets and clean with 75gr bullets.

I'm going to clean it anyway, what's another patch or two between friends?

I usually worry more about how clean a powder shoots with handguns. The Ramshot powders do seem a bit cleaner burning to me too, even in pistol rounds. I hear the VV powders are really clean burning too but I've never tried any of them.

peace.
unloaded

Originally Posted By: LeadlobberAs a general rule I use Benchmark for bullet weights 55 and under 60 and over get Varget in .223 .

+1

I guess my question is, Who Cares? If it shoots good, I use it. I do clean the rifles religously after each session whether I shoot 10 rounds or 200. As long as they shoot 1/2" groups all day long, (If I do my part) dirty don't matter much. Especially if you use a good barell.

Dave

Back