Pork Shoulder & Rib Rub

Jeff Mock

1 1/2 cups of brown sugar

1/2 cup FANCY paprika

2 1/2 tablespoons of FRESH ground pepper (prefer Tellicherry)

2 tablespoons of celery salt

1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder

1/2 teaspoon of cayanne pepper

1/2 teaspon of CUMIN

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon _____________________________________________________

Speaking of RUBS, here are 2 nice pork shoulders I rubbed 2 days ago, and JUST put on the smoker this morning!

Fired up the smoker with WOOD LUMP charcoal...

Once the coals get hot, I add a bunch of HICKORY I soaked the night before for an intense smoke!

Put both shoulders in the smoker & cook at 225 degrees for 14 hours, until the internal meat temp is 190 degrees.

Sit and wait till they're DONE! Oh, ya might wanna have a few beers and just watch & smell the smoke!

15 pounds of smoked pork shoulder disappeared in about 20 minutes!

These people were eating it like they were going to the Electric chair!

It was very tastey!

Boy that looks good. I need to fire my BBQ up and do something soon.
cool.gif
GENE'O

I see the water bath over the coals. Is that a Mock accessory? So does it have marinade or just water?
smile.gif

If you look closely at the pic of the inside of the smoker, you'll notice about an inch thick ring around the inside.

IMG_0982.jpg

Once the wood coals get going, and you add the wet wood for the smoke, you place a flat stone that sits on the top of the ring itself and rests about 2 inches over the coals. This is called the smoking stone.

The smoking stone protects the meat from the "direct heat" of the wood coals, and forces the heat & smoke around the edges of the stone instead of creating a hot spot on the meat being smoked.

Drip_Pan.jpg

Afer you put the smoking stone on the interior ring, you place the round "drip tray" onto the smoking stone.

I fill mine with water because if you don't, when the meats begins dripping, it will hit the stone or "dry drip pan" and create a "sour smoke". In other words, when the grease hits the stone and there's no water in it, it makes an acrid sour smoke and adversly effects the taste of the meat.

The water catches the drippings, and the result is no sour smoke.

Jeff I have been a egg head for many years. I have gotten several people on my street to get a green egg. One thing I do and it's just a matter of how I do things is finish a lot of my stuff in the oven. I smoked a couple of briskest last weekend and started at 5PM. At 11pm I moved them into the house and set the oven up at 215 and went to sleep. Woke up around 8am and took them off and wraped in foil. I do my briskest and shoulders this way and can't tell a lick of difference. Good smoking. Rick

I've been looking for a smoker. I just checked out their website...what size egg is that?

How much are they, if you don't mind?

Mine is the "Large"

They do make an Extra Large, but I decided to go with the large.

I got mine about 4 years ago, but I think the Large, with the stand like mine will run you about $900.00 or so.

Back