.45 auto Loads?

I'm not sure what you want. I used to shoot indoor bullseye that we had to shoot lead and under 1000 FPS. My load is lite, but set up for the gun ( short spring ) It is 185 SWC ( no gas check ) over 4.0g bullseye. My 1911 is made for this load, have done lots of Ransome rest tests out to 75 yds, but you can see the slugs moving if the light is rite. Very accurate, the guys I shoot falling plate matches with hate it !! There is very little recoil, can shoot plates or bowlingpin matches very fast. It is also a fur friendly load out to 50 yds. A lb of bullseye will go a long ways...
John

A 200 grain hard cast lead SWC or flat point over a dose of Unique around 900 - 1,000 fps has always been accurate and reliable for targets, small game, and general purpose shooting for me.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyPopI'm not sure what you want.

I am really not sure either. LOL. I will probably mostly shoot jacketed hollow points. My previous lead bullet experiments with my 44 mag did not yeild the results I was looking for.

Not that lead doesnt foul in auto's, but I like using lead in autos more than revolvers. No big ring, just thru the bore, and a good deal of that can be eliminated with proper casting,sizing and lube.

Out of curiosity, any body ever try applying lee liquid alox to the bore of a pistol barrel to reduce leading?

I am fairly new to loading the 45. I loaded some 200 grn RN plated bullets over 6.0 grns of H Universal that cycle & shoot fine in my 1911. I recently bought some Tightgroup powder to try out.

Accurate Arms #5 is a dream in a 45 Auto.

I shoot the 185g Nosler HP with 9.6g of #5, and it is unreal accurate At 1075 fps out of my Kimber.

The speer Gold dots are also extremely accurate with the same load.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.Originally Posted By: JohnnyPopI'm not sure what you want.

I am really not sure either. LOL. I will probably mostly shoot jacketed hollow points. My previous lead bullet experiments with my 44 mag did not yeild the results I was looking for.

If you are worried about leading in the barrel, then ease your mind. Pick a quality hard cast bullet, not the inexpensive soft lead or swaged lead, and in the .45 ACP especially the velocities are low enough that leading is nonexistent. Other than 230 gr. FMJ hardball there has probably been more lead shot through .45’s than all the jacketed hollowpoints combined. There just isn’t any point in price, accuracy, wear on the barrel, or performance on small game and paper to shoot jacketed bullets in the .45 ACP cartridge.

My wife and I have 4 1911's between the two of us. When we were into the IPSC shooting we shot enough lead cast bullets out of our 45's to fill my pickup box with. 200 SWC bullets were the thing at that time. I now shoot them at my plate machine and just for fun. I have only shot jacketed bullets to function test some self defense loads. I see no need for shooting jacketed. W231,Hodgdon Titegroup, Clays, and Bullseye are all powders that I know from expierience work fine in the 45 ACP. I am currently using Bullseye because I picked up 12 pounds of it for 11 bucks a pound. I usually use W231 more than any other. I use W231 more than the others for the reason that, well I have no good reason to pick it over the others.
Good luck,
Tuco

I felt like a lack of quality cast bullets was a huge part of the problem with th 44 mag and lead bullets. Everything I tried leaded the barrel till I slowed them down to 44 special velocity. So, who makes good lead bullets for the .45 auto.

Some 45's are picky in the bullet dia that they like. I have one that loves the cast in .452 dia, but the Barstow match barrel for the same gun loves the .451 dia.

Another Les Baer loves the .451 dia bullets and will dump them in a hole the size of a quarter at 25 yds, if you can hold it. The same barrel will shoot 2" at 25 yds with the .452 size bullets.

Precision Bullets
33112 CR2142
Kemp, Texas 75143-6339
(903) 498-8451 Voice/Fax
http://www.precisionbullets.com/

This company makes a coated bullet, and you can forget lead in the barrel, very reasonable price.

Good luck!

Last edited:
45 ACP: Sierra 185 JHP over 5.0 gr W231
44 Rem Mag: Rem 240 JHP over 20.0 gr 2400

Yes, lead is cheaper in the long run but clean up was annoying with most lead bullets unless they had a gas check.

I'm going to be trying a new load tomorrow, 230 gr. LRN over 5.3 gr. of HP 38 heard it is a very accurate and pleasant to shoot load. I'll be testing it out of my Kimber CDP II and my Springfield XD-45 curious to see which is more accurate.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanAccurate Arms #5 is a dream in a 45 Auto.

I shoot the 185g Nosler HP with 9.6g of #5, and it is unreal accurate At 1075 fps out of my Kimber.

The speer Gold dots are also extremely accurate with the same load.

+1 on Accurate Arms #5.

I like the Rem. 185 Gold Sabre's or a 200gr. flat point.

Matt, finding a steady source of the N powders can be a tough one, almost guaranteed shipped in with Haz mat fees and postage.

AA#5 has proved to be very accurate and much cleaner burning than bullseye and 231 and meters like water where you don't ever have to worry about powder bridging in the powder measure with flake powders.

Of course, your powder measure may better than my Redding.

I'm going to try the clays on my Dillon 550 next to see how consistant that powder measure is...I don't trust powder measures when it comes to flake shotgun powders at all.

Back