I need a rangefinder........

cornstalker

I am going to try to buy a rangefinder before antelope season. Having firsthand experience with Swaro and Leica, I know what the best looks like. Just ain't gonna spend that much.

So far I have narrowed it down to the Nikon Monarch 1200, (I have a lot of confidence in Nikon), and the Bushnell Elite 1500. (not so much confidence with Bushnell, but this seems like a good product)

I am looking for some input on these, and I am open to suggestions for others if anyone has experience to share......

Well, the best i can say is that the nikon 550 will go out to about 600yds. It works very well and will fit in your shirt pocket, which for me means it gets taken rather than left on the truck seat. blue

Have a look at the 6br.com article on range finders. It gives a thumbs up on the Bushnell 1500. I bought one on the strength of that article and it does fine for me.

Be warned though - its boring. You just point and press and it does its job. No gadgets or things to set up each time.

I asked for a friend of mine a few weeks ago and Optic Zone said there weren't that many 1500s around, but they had em for about $350

Originally Posted By: bluealteredWell, the best i can say is that the nikon 550 will go out to about 600yds. It works very well and will fit in your shirt pocket, which for me means it gets taken rather than left on the truck seat. blue

i just bought this one. great deal for $200

My boss bought the Elite 1500 and I got the Nikon Gold 1200. I can hit a small cedar tree at 827 yds every time, his only read about 1 out of 20 attempts on the same target. Mine went on to range small bushes and cedars into the 900 yd range. I have been very pleased with mine. It doesn't do all the fancy inclination adjustments and holdovers or barometric pressure and temperature, but it does what I bought it for, range targets well.

Quote:It doesn't do all the fancy inclination adjustments

That can be very valuable if you use it with a bow or air gun, however, especially if you're shooting out of a tree stand. The temperature and barometric pressure I could live without.

The Nikon Riflehunter 550 actually looks like a pretty good unit at a low price if you want that inclination option.
$310 at The Optic Zone.

Last edited:
Here is where I hunt a lot. I think the 550 might be a little short.......

100_2065.jpg

I have had 3 (2 Leupolds and 1 Bushnell) and the RX-IV Leupold was a nice unit that read most all targets I ranged with it. I sold it because it didn't have the nice led display that can be seen well in low light.

How far are you planning on shooting? I have a Leica 1200, my buddy has the Nikon Monarch 1200. Side by side in the type of county you are going to be hunting in (same stuff we hunt in) the Nikon just didn't cut it past about 400-500 yards. He would maybe get a reading 1 out of every 4 tries, and when he did they were usually wrong. The Leica is hands down a better unit, and if you are going to be shooting a long ways in that kind of country other rangefinders simply may not work. BTW, Wholesale Sports (aka, sportsmans warehouse) has the Leicas for $600 on sale.

My post is not meant to poo-poo the other brands or the fact you don't want to spend $600, just telling my experience out in the flat grass/sage country with the other brands and the Leica.

I wont shoot past 500 at this point, but the extra yardage of the rangefinder becomes a valuable stalking tool.

It would probably be smart to wait until I have the money for the Leica.

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerI wont shoot past 500 at this point, but the extra yardage of the rangefinder becomes a valuable stalking tool.

It would probably be smart to wait until I have the money for the Leica.

Yep if there is anyway you could swing the leica would be the best choice for sure!! Especially in the country your hunting.. Like you said it becomes an invaluable stalking tool also..

I have had a nikon 440 for years and really like it. it serves my purpose here in the east. out west I would opt for a 1000 yarder at a minimum.

I traded my Nikon 800 in for a Leica 1200.. The Nikon would not range much of anything on a bright day... The leica is just plain awesome

Quote:Here is where I hunt a lot. I think the 550 might be a little short.......

Yeah, I agree. Leica and Swarovski are top of the line from every review I've seen.

Originally Posted By: KrakkonI traded my Nikon 800 in for a Leica 1200.. The Nikon would not range much of anything on a bright day... The leica is just plain awesome

Don't do what Krakkon and I did, I bought the Bushnell Elite 1500 and ended up selling it and got the Leica 1200.

Hi All,
Its a given the the Swaro or Leica are better, but if you have not got the dollars then what else. For my part I found that review at 6br.com and got a Bushnell 1500. It works fine for me, but then "different strokes..."

For me its the difference between the Bushnell 1500 range finder that can only make out very small objects at rediculous ranges rather than a Swaro or Leica that can make out tiny objects at rediculous ranges.

As for the frequently mentioned "go buy a Swaro" option - EvilLurker and I have discussed the issue of opening a donations account. If there are enough people who wish to contribute to this fund please reply and I'll get the banking details for them.

Just kidding - I wouldn't pass the money on!!!

Cornstalker,,,Be sure to check out Gunbroker and Ebay on a regular basis...

A couple of years ago, I was browsing Gunbroker and found a Leica 1200 advertised as "like new", and it was, for about half of a new one...

Even with the old battery, it would range 954yds looking up the river (longest distance I could find in my neck of the woods) and that's way farther than I will ever shoot anything..

Thanks for the input guys. Leica it is. I will have to wait til I got the cash.

I have used the Leica and the Swaro before. They are awesome.

I was just trying to be cheap. I don't seem to get away with that much anymore.........

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerThanks for the input guys. Leica it is. I will have to wait til I got the cash.

I have used the Leica and the Swaro before. They are awesome.

I was just trying to be cheap. I don't seem to get away with that much anymore.........

Yep, it's an expensive addiction...I think a heroin addiction would be cheaper!
grin.gif

BTW, good choice on the RF...you won't be disappointed.

Back