RAGE 3-Blade

One of the things to always remember when hunting and especially, game like deer is the space between vital organs can be big enough that an arrow will go thru without doing extreme damage.

I helped a buddy dress out a buck last year that the arrow went between the heart and lungs and only clipped the heart. The deer made it about 80yds and just dropped in an open field. Very little blood loss on a passthru shot! If not for clipping an artery on the heart I'm sure that deer would have kept going on what appeared to be an almost perfect shot!

Here's a pretty good link to vitals on deer: Deer Vitals

Nikonut

Originally Posted By: Kenawell1hmm, I did not hear any stories about the 3 blade. Thanks for the heads up. What problems did you hear redeyed....?

Mostly lack of penetration and some lost animals on what appeared to be very good hits. I know several guys I went to school with who are hardcore bowhunters and not only kill a lot of deer, but some very good bucks. To a man they all use the 2 blade and nothing else. I have some but have not yet shot a deer with them. Going to Wyoming next month for elk but will be carrying Thunderhead 100s. Neither Rage is designed for foam targets- that's what the practice points are for.

Lack of penetration ?????????????

My wife shoots 50 lbs @ 26 " draw. She shot and killed 3 deer last year with 3 blade Rage. 1 complete pass through and 2 buried too the fletch !

BTW...... the bows a HOYT !!!!!!!!!!

I'm just reporting what some very experienced hunters told me. A couple mentioned the three blades failed to open also, which would give good penetration, but could lead to a long tracking job or a lost deer. I'm not looking to argue, but help a fellow PM member out.

I have shot a couple deer, and a few bears with the 3 blade. I cant remember any of them running out of sight before they died. I have not had a problem yet, and I like the practice tips.

Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I think it's quite possible that any product can have a problem from time to time and that is why we need to talk about how these things work in the field for all of us, not just a few. Every circumstance is different as is everyone's experiences...!

I originally allowed this to run to help "Kenawell1" find some Rage 3-blades. I think we are beyond that now.

I think we would do better to continue this in the "What's your broadhead of choice?" thread. I just don't want this to become a heated thread for or against any product and I'm not saying it is.... We can do better than that here.

Nikonut

I hope I didn't ruffle anyones feathers. I was just passing on some field experience.

Like I said before first run Rage had some issues and that's were all the bad mojo came from.

Good luck too all my fellow bowhunters !

tim,
I think for now I am going to stick with what I am used to and did not have any problems with which is the montec's.
I did not want to start arguments between anyone! Nikon... Thanks for letting the post, I learned that the Rages arent Perfect!
Also Thanks to each of ya for your opinion's and thoughts.

Dave-PA

All good guys!

That's what we want this forum to be about... helping and giving others support and info based on their knowledge and experiences in our sport.

Nikonut

i would like to add a lil story ....
i bought a couple packs of the rages and they shot very well
i was sitting in my blind opening morning (wanting to shot a doe just to get "it" outta my system) waiting on the sun i keep looking down at my rage broadhead that was already nocked and ready to go ... about a half hour passed lite i noticed my broadhead looked funny .....
picked up my bow for a closer look and noticed my blades were gone off the broadhead .. the screw holding them in there had somehow backed out leaving me with a very nice field point !!! lol !!!!
packed up and went home dug out the ol'muzzys !!!
i kill myself cause i have shot muzzys for years and i have killed a bunch of deer with them .. not once have they failed me !!! but i have a half dozen diffrent broadheads in my garage and i always go back to muzzy !!
i also shoot alot of competition and alot of the guys i talk to have had real good luck with the rages !!

Ronnies,
sounds like a story most of us have dealt with . If its not the broadhead its the peep, fletching's and so on.
But when the arrow slams the deer there is no other sound like it!!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe first run of rage broadheads 2 & 3 blade had some issues. Those troubles have been worked out. Rage really excell on marginal hits like single lung and gut shot deer.

I believe they are the best mech head going.

"put'em down "

Not trying to be difficult Tim but the new and improved Rage broadheads never hold up to any kind of toughness testing I have watched or participated in. I test broadheads from time to time since I work part time in a Sporting Goods store with an archery pro shop. Seen the Rage two blades and the Rage 3 blades shot into Steel drums, angled plywood and flat plywood. The Rage has never survived the steel drum test. Shears the blades right off every time. I would agree that a deer or elks shoulder is not steel but the toughness tests do have some merit. The Grim Reaper is one of very few mechanicals that passes both the steel drum and angled plywood (deflection) test with flying colors. The new stud on the block is the Reign broadhead. The only one I have ever tested that will penetrate both sides of a steel drum with consistancy with very little damage. The Spitfires are one of the worst mechanicals I have ever seen and I use to use them. I have watched them litterally bounce off angled plywood and they blow up in the steel drum test. G5 Montecs are a solid performer for tougness as are the Wac Em Tritons. Do some Google searching for broadhead testing. Watch the testing on the Grim Reaper sight. They test a few different common broadheads and are fair in their testing. Very interesting. Here is the Reign test and they shoot the G5, the Rage 3 blade, the Spitfire and the Reign. Seeing is believing.

i've always used the rocket sidewinders as my broadhead of choice. they havent failed me yet and fly as true as a field point.

they leave quite the hole too.

just my 0.02

Zach

Originally Posted By: knockemdownThanks to the Spitfire, I'm NO fan of mechanicals anymore. Cut-on-contact is where I'm stayin'...
I had a bad experience with N.A.P. Shockwave...very poor penetration. I too, am a cut-on-contact broadhead fan. This fall will be my first year with the Slick Trick broadhead that came out last year, called the Razor Trick. I've not heard anything bad about any of the Slick Trick broadhead models.
smile.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Sure those barrel tests are nice, but animals are NOT! made of metal !!!!!!

I shot spitfire for a few years . Killed 8-10 deer and 2 black bear with the 3 blade 85 gr. Got busted by a buck on the draw, he ran down the trail aways and stopped. Shot him behind the ear and broke the jaw on the opposite side. Almost a complete pass through. 1 blade was bent , I changed all 3 and spin tested it and put it back in the quiver. No wasted meat on that one !lol

I like trying new stuff once in awhile. None are prefect ,they will all lose and take game.

If I had too choose one for the rest of my life it would be muzzy !

Shoot what you will and make it count .... happy hunting.

Tim

Last edited:
Back