Maybe something for the new reloader!

pyscodog

Lets say you just got home with a new rifle(caliber doesn't matter) and you got your scope mounted, now your ready to build some ammo. With-out being to lengthy, just a few tips on what you do. Where you start with OAL, powder charges, brass prep. My very first step is : Get out the reloading manuels and read a little. You folks take it from here.
pyscodog

The first thing I do is decide whether I want to use the rifle as a single shot or a repeater. If I will only use as a single shot then I normally start out by seating the bullet out to the lands. If I intend on using it as a repeater then I obviously measure the magazine, then back off on the length.

My next choice is which bullet I want to be shoot in the rifle. I normally prefer the heavy for caliber bullets.

When searching for a powder I look for the powder that gives the best case fill for the desired velocity that I want to achieve.

I can normally get very close or get the most accurate load right off the bat by doing these things. Tom.

Hogghead- I already learned something from this post. I very seldom, if ever, worry about how well the choice of powder fills the case. Guess I should start checking this out.

The first question should be. What am I trying to accomplish with reloading. (Cheap ammo to plink with, Hunting ammo, Match quality ammo)Then you will have a place to start reading.

Well, the first thing that I do is bed the rifle, float the barrel, adjust the trigger, mount scope.

Then I clean the barrel, brush with JB unless it is a custom barrel, in which case, I would just push patches down the barrel.

Next, I establish the seating depth with the various bullets that I want to try, touching the lands with the bullet is preferable.

I bore sight the rifle using an unfired case with no primer in the case, looking though the flash hole of the case.

I don't give a hoot in hades how well the powder fills the case. Check the Nosler manual to see their most accurate loads with various powders and start loading. Also, cross reference a site: http://www.centerfirecentral.com/ to see how fellows with your exact same rifle shot with various bullets and loads (check anything you read on this site against a reloading manual in case the poster had a typo on his load).

After working up a load at 100 yds, I try the load at 200, 300 yards to see if it has "fell apart".

Most of your success comes before you ever fire the first round, in accurizing, checking seating depth, and doing your research in the Nosler manual and on the Centerfire central site.

Everybody is different, it's just a hobby, make it fun your way.

Depends on whether I planned to buy the rifle before I left the house (LOL) and whether or not it is a new or used gun.

Psychidog, to stay within your original point...My first concern is matching my bullet choices to my barrel twist rate..

Since my first priority is "Best Accuracy" within a bullets intended use (Match bullets, Hunting bullets, Plinking bullets).

I will match the bullet with the most desired powder available (research time)..and the intended use...cheaper powder for plinking, if there is a big difference in price..

I prep all my brass the same, as I use it generally, between several rifles of the same caliber... The exception being my Rem 700...That brass is kept seperate.

I develop my loads to fit the individual rifle by removing as much of myself from the actual shooting as possible (the rifle is secured to the shooting bench so all I have to do is gently trip the trigger), so each load is started with a series of charges at 1 grain below published "max." load and increased by 0.2gr increments, with all other factors (bullet seating depth, primer type, die used, etc) remaining constant... I only change one factor each time when developing loads for an individual rifle..

My prefered procedure after all the cleaning and scope mounting is to buy a box of factory ammo, complete sight in (5 shot groups & clean), file targets, and check/measure brass at completion. I'm now ready to make adjustments to the rifle and set up my dies for reloading and pretty much follow the previous guidelines posted.

As a new reloader myself, I must say read, read and then read some more. I was really surprised how much difference thier was from one manual to another. Also as a new reloader, don't think just because the manual states thier accuracy load that it will be the same for you. Take your time and have fun. You just might be surprised with what you come up with.

WOW, this is cool. I've been loading for years and am still picking up good little tid-bits of info. Never thought of looking through an unprimed cartridge when bore siting. Dern good idea. Thanks Ackleyman!!

Back