Bow tuning tools

plumbob

For anybody that works on their own bows. What tools and such do you recommend a peron get to work on their own. Being in the military and moving every few yrs, I got to find a new shop everytime, think I will do it on my own now. i know I got to get a vice to hold my bow steady, what kind of levels do I need to setup rest, nock points and such?

I just use a bow square it clamps on your string and you can set your rest with it it also has 2 little points on the part that goes up against your string to show you where the nock points go you can find these at any archery shop, dicks sporting goods, bass pro, cabelas good luck it is not difficult to do.

carry in my truck

portable bow vice
center shot tool
knock pliers & knocks
Bow T square
Allen keys
dental floss
spare bow string
spare rest ,sights, knocks and duct tape, hot glue
and last bot not least feild point.

witch all will go in my day pack if i feel i will need it or i ant coming out of the woods for a couple days

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticA bow square and a pair of nocking pliers and a good set of allen wrenches will do most everything. Other than that, break in a set of strings, (100 shots +/- remove and store with a portable bow press. Pack some bow string wax and cleaning supplies also. Super glue and 5 minute epoxy also is not a bad choice.

A good fletching jig or at least some spare fletchings, nocks and glue! Your arrows are almost as important as your bow! LOL

I've got a small tackle box filled with:

portable bow vise (love that thing)
fletching jig, extra vanes & glue
Nocks & pliers
T-square
Allen keys
serving string
field points
new blades for broadheads
practice blades for broadheads
bowstring wax
extra release loops
cigarette lighter

Originally Posted By: VaHowlerPlumbob, PM sent. Share, this is a forum.
smile.gif

No problem ozzy. I simply told Plumbob I had everything he needed if he was interested in a package deal. I used to shoot ASA 3D and lived for bowhunting until I tore my right bicep. Now I spend my time hunting predators, handloading, shooting and tinkering with guns. Do a little saltwater fishing also. Still have a bunch of archery stuff I don't use anymore. If anyone is interested let me know. Evidently Plumbob wasn't.

I hope nobody says this isn't the classified forum.

I have in my archery backpack a watertight container with...

Nocking pliers
Nocks
2 extra D-loops
Bow Square
Bowmaster portable bowpress
Full set of string and cables (already broke in with peep sight,string sliencers, nock point and D-loop attached)
Extra (sighted in) sight
Extra (centered/ set-up) fall-away rest
Extra broadheads and field points
Cigarette lighter
Serving string
Razor blades
Sharpening stone for broadheads
small pocket knife
bowstring wax
Allen wrench set

Back