Taco seasoning ( How I make enchiladas also )

C_latrans

This is a recipe I found on the internet. I like the flavor better than any other mix I've tried. It has almost no sodium compared to other mixes too, which is a big plus since I'm on a low sodium diet.

6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt ( I use salt substitute )

This makes 21 teaspoons of seasoning mix which is equivalent to 3 packages of commercial mix. Try starting with 7 teaspoons per pound of meat and adjust to your taste. When you add the spices to your skillet of cooked meat, add about 1/2 cup of water to help distribute the spices and then cook long enough to boil off the water.

Enchiladas ....... my own version
You can start with a pound or pound and a half of ground beef, but I really like them made with leftover chicken, turkey, pork or roast beef. You can add in some canned chilies or sauteed onions if you like. Brush your choice of tortillas with canned enchilada sauce. Place a couple of table spoons of meat mix on each tortilla. Add some shredded cheese on the meat. Use Colby, cheddar, Monterrey jack or what ever you prefer. Roll up the tortilla and place in a baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. When you have the pan filled, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top and then top with more shredded cheese. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree over for about a half an hour. All of your ingredients are already cooked, so all you are doing is heating things up. If you remove the foil about 10 minutes before removing from the oven, it will allow the cheese to brown. These freeze well too, so it's nice to have some made up ahead for the days that you don't feel like cooking or know what to have.

Another tasty treat is to use the above meat mix to make my version of a chimi. You can use tortillas, but I like to place a couple tablespoons of meat and some shredded cheese on an egg roll wrapper. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with a bit of water to act as glue to hold the wrapper closed when you roll it up. Deep fry in 350 degree oil until golden brown. Top with salsa and sour cream. Tasty tasty!!! You can reheat left overs in the oven, they get soggy in the micro wave.

Enjoy, Dale

Made tacos last night with this seasoning and they were awesome, much better than the stuff you get from the store. Thanks Dale.

Back