good elk broadhead!

K_Hini

A buddy of mine is heading out to colorado this fall. He is always in a delima on which broadhead to use. I told him to try the rage but he is afraid of the expandables. I doesn't like the fixed blade because they don't fly as nice as the expandables.

He is more back and forth than my wife at the furnature store.

Could someone please help him out and let me know what breadheads would be good for elk? I told him people have good experience with the rage on deer but he wants to know how they work on elk.

thanks
kyle

I would never use an expandable on an elk - I've seen tons of elk taken with Montec G5's, Muzzy's and my favorite - the Shuttle T.

G5's and Shuttles fly like field points and are durable as all getout...

I would stay away from expandables on elk as well. My all time favorite broadhead is the old style Snuffer. I prefer the 150 grain. I will be shooting Montec G5's this year though. They sure fly great. I shot a whitetail with a G5 last year but it wasn't really a good test. When you double lung them, just about anything works well.

Yip, another that beleives a cut on contact BH is a much better choice for elk, than any expandable. You need penetration from a solid fixed blade BH. I use the Magnus snuffer SS. Last year I got a complete pass through at 51 yards, don't think a rage could do that!

There's several reasons why an arrow with a fixed blade broadhead might not fly like a field point, all the the reasons can be fixed, and by not doing so, the real potential for the arrow and broadhead to perform is compromised. Learn how to tune the bow, learn how to spin test arrows, learn the proper spine for the bow, and most bad flying fixed blade arrows will fly as straight as arrows with field points.

I agree. I carry Rage 2 blades for deer but it is not an elk head IMO. I'll be using Thunderhead 100s for elk in Wyoming this fall.

My favorites are good locking replaceable blade heads. i.e. Wac 'em, Shuttle t-lock, Innerlock, Slick Trick, and Muzzy. There are literally hundreds of heads that will work, and technology in this field has come so far, that most can be made to shoot right with your field points!

I believe the shuttle t-locks are illegal in Colorado because the cutting surface is not in the same plane. Might check into that.

Well I agree with the guys on here. The G5 Montecs (but will have to sharpen), G5 Strikers, Shuttle T-Locks. I do love the Rage broadheads too, but it might shed too much energy trying to open as it enters the elk, and since it is probably twice as thick as a deer... penetration is key. I have shot a doe at 50 yards and had a complete pass through (even through the back half of her front shoulders) with the 2 blade Rage, but wouldn't want to track a elk up and down mountains if I marginally hit it.

montec g-5's
moseley hit his bull in the round leg bone on the shoulder and that broad head bored right threw and into its heart.
tough head, not a mark on it.

There was a demo once
they tested replaceable blade broadheads on a elk hide w/fur on
placed arrow on table nock end on table and draped the elk hide over broadhead to try and push it thru it.... made it but the shaft bent like a recurve first....
then a fixed blade, like a Magnus, very little effort and no bend on the arrow shaft
make mine a super sharp Magnus

Well I have killed alot of Elk with my bow and I have used a ton of different broadheads. Working part time in a Sporting goods store also helps since I get alot of feedback and I am able to do some testing with different equipment. I have killed Elk with Spitfires (Junk), Thunderheads, Crimson Talons, Aftershock Hypershocks and the G5 Montecs. After my experience with the Spitfires I swore I would never use another mechanical on Elk again. My mind was changed. I started looking into the Grim Reapers, did lots of research, watched their testing and did some of my own. The Grim Reaper, in my opinion, is the toughest, most reliable mechanical on the planet. They will survive a shot through a steel drum and passed the angle plywood test with flying colors. They also out penetrate many fixed blade heads and probably all mechanicals I have personally ever seen tested in ballistic gel. Last year I used the 100 grain Grim Reaper Razor tip for my Elk heads. The results were devestating, not once but twice. I killed a cow at 27 yards hitting her slightly above center and slightly quartering away. The arrow blew right through her but stopped when it center punched her off side shoulder. The broadhead hit with so much force that it split the shoulder bone and I had to stand on her and pull with great force to pull it loose. The very tip of one blade was snapped off and I am not so sure it wasnt when I pulled it free. Two days later I killed a mature 5X5 bull. The bull was a 30 yard shot and was quartering away at an extreme angle. I was able to slip the arrow behind the last rib. The arrow entered with no deflection, clipped the stomach, caught the back of the near lung, part of the liver, center punched the far lung and again lodged itself deeply in the off shoulder. No blade damage on that one and a devastating wound channel. Bull went 40 yards and piled up. Grim Reapers are without a doubt one of the top performing mechanicals on the planet. I have yet to see a rage survive the steel barrel test without shearing the blades clean off.

The new kid on the block and a broadhead I may use this year is the Reign. This broadhead is the only head I have ever personally seen completely penetrate both sides (yes I did say both sides) of a steel drum and survive. Very interesting head designed to not split bone but shatter it, clearing the way for the two blades. The blades will also pivot and the recenter if they strike bone with a glancing blow. The Reign deserves a serious look. See the link below.

http://www.ephunting.com/press_1_13_9.html

and the Reign steel drum test

Last edited:
Back