New to reloading. I am getting the right stuff?

Check out a few manuals before you decide on one. Not all of them tell the same story. I bought a new manual a few months ago and it's max loads are 2 to 3 grains less than some of the other manuals. I think to many Lawyers were involved in the printing of the one I have.

I would get manuals (reading and researching never hurts) A beam scale is great to start but get a good trickler. But after reloading A while I went to the RCBS charge master (I was skeptical and checked every load with the 505 for weeks) with no variations. The time it saves alone is worth it...Jason

Sounds like a good but very basic setup. Yes on both manuals and they should be the first purchase.
I would not advise a new reloader to get load data from strangers on the internet; just too many that would give you bad info and "think" it was very funny if something happened. Also the fact that they might think you know a lot more than is the case.
Check out the various web sites that the component makers have. Lots of Good information on those sites.

Thanks for all the replys. The order has shipped and should be here next week. I am sure I will have lots more questions.

i dont know what kind of case lube you will use. i normally use one-shot. last time i was shopping the store was out of one shot but had lyman spray on lube. from reading the directions on the can it seemed to be pretty much the same stuff, only a couple bucks cheaper. the 2nd case into the die stuck. that can went with me to the range the next day. just my experience.........

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

Strongly recomend skipping this one. I have the RCBS collet puller, it is a lot less hassle.

Yes it marks the bullets, no not enough to matter, and best of all it actually pulls bullets.

Didn't read far enough to see you've already ordered.

I don't see the Lee lock stud and cutter for trimming on your list. The case length gauges require that.

I also recommend the Hodgdon Annual Manual. For 8 bucks it has more recipes than any other. Of course the data is free on the net but I like a hard copy.

For case lube, Imperial Die wax is pretty good and its cheap.

I found the collets for them impact pullers to be less than desireable and wore out easily. Now I just use the shell hold from my dies.

Well my stuff showed up!! I spent most of the afternoon and night reading and getting set up. The lee instructions suck but was able to get everything set up. What is the best grease to lube the auto prime and my press? I was thinking about getting some silicone grease. Also where on your bench do you right hand guys mount your powder measure?

Thanks and I am sure I will have more questions soon.

i use handy oil for the press and case trimmer. i think its maybe 20 weight?
my powder measure is on the left and the press is on the right. it works well for me.

P7040002.jpg

I'm right handed and have my bench set up like this
DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0199.jpg

I extended the case trimmer over the edge like that so I could run it with a drill motor. It works out good for me having it in that configuration.
The swivel lights are nice.
That will give you something to consider, anyway.

Last edited:
Mtinaz,,,You are getting a lot of good info...I'll add my .02..

Since you are just starting, get yourself a Lee Second Edition..Reloading manual..It will give you a lot of information on the whys and wherefores of loading and while I've been reloading handgun ammo for many years, I learned a lot about the bottle necked rifle cartridges after I got mine.

You asked about mounting a powder dispenser. I mounted mine on a square? piece of plywood so I can move it around on my bench as I need it... It also doubles as a portable platform for when I want to take my smaller press to the range, when working up loads..

PortableLoadSet002.jpg

Before you get too far into mounting your equipment, I strongly suggest you clamp items into place and try them out on dry runs to insure they are conveniently placed and not interfering with each other...if you have the room on the bench.. I'm right handed and most of my loading activities (picking up bullets, spotchecking powder charges, feeding my trimmers, etc.) wind up being done with my left hand and I need just a little more movement room in that area..

LoadBench.jpg

Instead of your impact (kinetic) bullet puller (I've broken two with rifle cartridges), get a Hornady (my preference) or RCBS collet style puller.. It's faster, easier on your wrist/arm and works with your standard press..I seldom leave marks on the bullet pulled..

Plan on as much storage places as you can talk wife/S-O into as you will find the accumulation of items keeps increasing.. I went from one reloading bench with few shelves to three benches and several shelf sets over the last few years..

My cleaning bench:
P1010004.jpg

And more shelves over the loading bench:
BrassManagement.jpg

Have fun with everything...Just be safe about it..
grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. I mounted the press on the far right, and I think I will mount the powder measure on a board so I can try some different things out. Anyone put there scale up higher, ie easier to read? or does it not make a big difference once set for you load.

Quote:Anyone put there scale up higher, ie easier to read? or does it not make a big difference once set for you load.

It would be nice at eye level, but make sure you don't drop it. I notched the legs on mine into that oak spacer and cut a hole the same depth for the adjustment foot. It stays in there nice and secure vs. sliding around freely.
Old Turtle's idea of mounting the trimmers on the wall is good. I get chips on my bench when I'm trimming, he solved that and doesn't have to bend over as much, either.

Well I started reloading last night and it was a disaster. The primer stuck in the pmc brass and I could not get the shell holder off for the lee auto prime. Then used my sizing die to punch out the primer but the case got stuck. Had to take the die apart but finally did get it out. I was able to load 5 rounds of rem brass just fine. For bullet seating depth I but a bullet in an empty brass and chambered it. then measured and took off a tenth. it was 2.68 to the tip and I seated at 2.58 plus or minus a couple thousandths. Did I do it right? This is a 243 with 85g bullets. It is an older gun so I hoping the lower end of the powders give me good results. I started at 41.7g of imr 4831. Thanks again for all the help

Originally Posted By: mtinazWell I started reloading last night and it was a disaster.

Mistakes happen at the bench. DISASTERS happen at the range.
grin.gif

Just hang in there. I use the Imperial case lube and I've never had a case stuck.....yet.

Everyone seems to be mentioning Imperial Sizing Wax, there is also Hornady Unique Sizing Wax.

Be careful of how you seat primers, having to remove one because you seated them wrong is a pain. Best way I have found is with the decapper pin and decapping chamber from a Lee Loader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piTWcqhH3No&feature=related

The link is to a site on youtube that shows how to remove a stuck case from a Lee die. The method for an RCBS die is different.

Where did you find the charge that you used? I checked two manuals and it is low for both.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Have fun.

One thing I would also suggest is the RCBS stuck case remover. It is only about $16 or $17 and you won't ruin a die trying to get a stuck case out it. Yeah you can make one up but not for that price, and maybe you can just go round up the things you need from the garage when you need them, but it sure is nice to have one on the bench right there when you need it.

I have only ever owned a kinetic puller as well and last winter I pulled over 1500 .223 rounds (crimped by the way) I had bought off of someone else (he had relaoded them, and there are only a few people I know that I would trust their reloads, but the price was right just for brass and bullets). The only problem I ran into was the O-ring broke on the collar that holds the shell, no biggie just used the shell holder that goes in the press, it is actually easier to use than the collar anyway. You just have to let puller do the work and not swing it like you are swinging a 2 lb maul getting rusted 1 inch bolt out of a disk gang.

just my 2 cents

Aaron

Back