Shooting with fingers

ozzy

Does anyone on here shoot a compound with fingers? Ive been thinking about giving it a try. Good ,Bad, Ugly lets hear it all.

Only for shooting carp and recurves. I use my bare fingers, three underneath the knock. I find that by not putting one over the top that there is little chance that I will push the arrow off of the rest with my middle finger. I can also judge where the arrow will go easier because the arrow is closer to my plane of sight.

I've tried it...

One problem is the release isn't as clean as a compound is setup for and will allow the bow to shake or move before the cams get to turnover. The other problem I had was the string wants to cut or peel your fingers more than a lighter poundage recurve. Given that some longbows are in excess of 100lbs maybe that wouldn't be such a problem for those better conditioned to shooting with finger release.

If my release broke or got lost in a hunting situation I would certainly still shoot with my fingers.

Nikonut

Another thing to remember is that a compound with a longer axle to axle length will be more comfortable shooting with your fingers.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking about shooting with a 3 finger glove if that makes a difference.

Lots of people do it but as mentioned above a longer axle to axle bow keeps the finger pinch from being so bad.

I shoot a "Jennings CK 3.4R" and also a "Jennings CK 3.1R" so I know about pinch!

The 34" isn't too bad but the 31" eats your fingers! I have an old PSE "Carroll Intruder" that's 41" and it definitely shoots easier with fingers than either Jennings! LOL

Nikonut

Back in HS I shot a compound 2-3 hours a day, every day, wearing nothing but a glove. But that was a long time ago, and the bow I was shooting was old even then. Long axle and 50lb draw. When I got back into archery a few years ago I went back to fingers. Shorter bow at 60-70 lbs, ended up with some nerve damage in my right hand. Took a couple years before I could feel anything in one of my fingers. I'd recommend a release
smile.gif

i shot fingers with my old bow for 20 yrs but with the new shorter bows and cams instead of wheels i could never shoot well.
i went to a release this year and my groups tightened right up.
i had to go to a fancy release the wrist ones just didn't work for me i got one that is like drawing with fingers instead of drawing with your wrist
140 bucks ouch

I started with a tru ball stinger and now shoot a chappy boss. I'm still finding my own here, only been shooting about a year.

Back