being forced out of bow hunting!!

AL VT

I live in NY State. I tore both bicepts and had 1 repaired.(well some what repaired) I am no longer able to draw a conventional bow. NY doesn't allow the use of crossbows so I'm forced out of a sport I love!! Just not fair!!! What toasts my oats even more is.. it's the bow hunters of NY who want the use of crossbows kept out! They say its not "traditional" The use of single cam and double cam bows is "traditional?? "!! I don't think so!!But I never complained when I was able to shoot one either! And I gotta bet 95+ % are using compound bows. A hand full will use long bows! but it sure aint many! I'm not wanting an "advantage" over everybody or anybody else. I just wanna bow hunt. I'm also not the guy who wants to use a crossbow out the mini van side door at night either!! I'm sure there are those who do that.
Just doesn't seem fair to me. NY will allow firearm hunters with dissabilities to shoot from cars, atvs whatever so they can still enjoy their sport. And don't get me wrong . I think thats great!(I got family thats wheel chair bound) But a bowhunter gets squashed if he has a disability. The whole thing just stinks. I would think "ALL" bowhunters would band together and help all their fellow hunters to enjoy the sport. OK My rant is done!! AL

Does NY allow crossbows during muzzleloader and or rifle season?Most states do so you can still hunt just not during the archery season. Most states have now gone to letting crossbows for handicapped in archery seasons but I guess not all.

I am very anti crossbow in archery season but I TOTALLY SUPPORT disabled hunters using them in archery season. Wyoming allows crossbows for everyone. For some guys (not all, but most) it is the easy way to extend their hunting season without making any committment to learning to bowhunt.

I sympathize with you. I would absolutely hate not being able to bowhunt.

I think that parker made a bow called the force multiplier it would allow you to draw at 40 lbs and it would shoot with the force of a 60 or 70 pound bow . I don't know if it is still made but it may be a option for you

What about putting a draw lock on your bow.I dont know of anybody useing them but i googled draw lock and found it. It may be your answer. Check your state regulations to see if it is legal if it is you can still hunt.I feel sorry for you. Thats something i would have a hard time dealing with. Live to hunt die if i couldnt hunt.

Crossbows are not allowed during any season here in NY. I have to admit before I was hurt I wasn't a big fan of a crossbow either. but now that I can no longer use a compound bow . I have changed my mind about a crossbow! I learned that getting hurt to a point you can't do what you were always used to doing will humble you! To me Its just a tool! Like the hammer to a carpenter, A pen to a writer, a book to a teacher, or the modern rifle to the deer hunter
I own 400 acres here ,pay taxes, do all I can do to support Conservation practices, but there may be a time to go against the rules. This may end up one of those times. This year I have put in food plots at a cost of nearly $1000. $18000 if ya count the tractor and attachments I bought so I could put food plots in! I also have put 50 acres into wet lands to develop habitat for ducks and such. I think I'm doing my part for conservation. I'm not willing to give up a sport I like because I can't use the "regular tools" of the sport. The draw lock is a good Idea, I'll have to look into it. AL

people who are against the use of crossbows are un educated as to the history of the bow/crossbow. if they want to dis allow the use of crossbows then outlaw all compounds and make everyone use a stick and string with no refinements. just like the modern day muzzleloader-it is the farthest thing from a traditonal muzzeleloader. Lets all go back to slingshots and spears without any refinements.
IMO, as long as someone is out there hunting for the sport of it, it doesn't matter what they are using. Use a friggin rock, if that suits your fancy.

When they get a rock season, I might consider it as long as that is what everyone else is using. I don't really want to be out there with a rock when everyone else has rifles. To me the big difference between a bow, either recurve, longbow or compound, and a crossbow is having to make the motion of drawing a bow with game at close range. Walking around with a cocked crossbow when the only movement required to shoot is pulling a trigger is a lot closer to a rifle or muzzleloader than a bow.

I think it is a slippery slope. Here in Wyoming, we are getting a lot of rifle cow elk and doe deer seasons that are open during the bow seasons. I guess they are of the opinion that if doesn't matter what you are hunting with, everyone should be able to hunt as long as they are out there for the sport of it.

The bow supply company called Keystone Country Store sells the Draw-Lock in their catalog. To me it looks pretty neat if thats what it come down to for me to be able to bowhunt I would dang sure give it a try.
Good Luck: Doug

You can get a permit to use a draw lock in NY after appling to DEC. Just like a long crossbow then. Good luck and I would get the draw lock.

if you can load,cary, hold up, and shoot a xbow you can shoot a bow. 45 and 50 pound bow with soft round wheels much easer to shoot then any xbow

Last edited:
Sorry George but you are wrong! I can't draw a conventional bow anymore! the problem my injury caused is this. First I'm right handed. I can't hold the bow with my left arm fully extended out and draw the string back with my right. The left bicept was not repaired.(because of my age and complications that would be associated with repairing) so you understand. my bicept is no longer located where it should be. it is now located up very near the shoulder.My right bicept was pulled back down somewhat where it should be and re-attached. It looks much better then the left one but I did lose alot of strenght in it.( whenever you re-attach any tendon it is always much weaker then it was before it broke) It's the holding the bow with my left arm and pulling across my body that I can't do. I don't have the strenght in the left arm to hold against the pull of the right. and the right doesn't have the strength to pull even a 40lb. pull to the let off point. If I could put the bow down on the ground and draw it up towards my chest with both hands, and if it would stay at full draw, I'd have no problem. If you bow hunt or ever shot a bow you know that won't work. especially in a hunting situation. a crossbow has a foot stirup that I can put my foot in. hold it down and pull up with both hands (arms) to cock it. Once thats done I can hold it . and do everything else. You must be an Ortho DR. that knows much more then the one that took care of me and repaired the right bicept. The DR that re-attached my right bicept buy the way is the very same DR that travels with our Olimpic teams . I got to think he knows what I can and can't do. I have discussed this with him at lenght. and have showed him what I need to do to draw a bow and what I can't do. He seemed to agree and is MORE then willing to sign anything that will show that I have lost the ability to use a bow. Look . I'm not looking for any advantage over you or anybody else. I Just wanna bowhunt. Now that you have told me I can do all these things I wish I would have came to you for all the medical work that was done. I don't know why the ER Doctor didn't refer me to you?

it just i have tried to hunt with a cross bow and found it much harder then my compound.
i couldn't hold it up , couldn't load it so it was a one shot deal if the kids loaded for me before i headed out
it was hard to carry and the worst part was i didn't find it as accurate as my compound

if you need to hunt with a xbow then i do wish you the best. if it keeps you in the woods and hunting i am cool with it.

AL,
if you ever need a place to hunt deer with a xbow your welcome at my camp and i can supply the xbow..

That's a very good offer George!

I too hunt with a crossbow due to a shoulder disability, both acually. My right shoulder is 1/2" shorter than my left. There isn't any cartilage left in my right shoulder and any pulling in a motion like a bow crushes the bones together. I can stand to do this one or two times but to practise it just isn't possible. I wouldn't want to hunt without practise!

Anyone that walks around with a bolt loaded in a cocked crossbow is unsafe and crazy! My crossbow is a little heavy but I also use shooting sticks.

Nikonut

I had to have it loaded for me it was that or stay home.
i had 5 surgery on my elbows and wrist and both knee total replacements and I am having to have my shoulders drained of 100 cc of fluid all the time , I also get 2 hour infusions every other week.
at the time when I was really bad shape I shot a round wheel 45 lb high let off target bow and found it was much easer to hunt and handle then any one of my 3 cross bows..

I just thought maybe AL didn't look into a set up like that, but on the other hand I know all about the pain and
disappointment of staying in the cabin on a cool October morning . so anytime AL your welcome with your cross bow here in up state PA . don't worry the kids do all the dirty work , you stickam they do the rest.

Thanks George. Very nice offer. I'm gonna keep pushing New York State, our Environmental Conservation and even our own bow hunters .in hopes to make them see that there is some of us who need an extra tool so we don't have to give up our sport. My hope is that the other hunters with disableites will step up to take a stand and that their voices will be heard! ( I hate the thought that I'm now considered any kind of disabled ) The really sad part is , I work full time with no kind of restrictions, I also work a second job doing contract work and also work here on my 440 acre farm. Yet, I can't draw a stinking bow!!

George, I'm sorry for the above comments. Maybe I jumped too quick or read more into what you said then you meant by it. I get very defensive when I think anybody may be thinking I'm just looking for an easy way to do anything or trying to gain any kind of advantage! I'd give just about anything to get what I had back. But on the other hand I would do the very same thing that caused the loss again if needed. And do it without any thought of my own needs . again thanks for the offer!! AL

Back