Laser wavelengths...

d2admin

Administrator
I did some night hunting for wild hogs in Texas last fall with night vision and experienced something that surprised me. I was using a 635nm laser to sight with that would spook the hogs. A friend had an older 670nm laser that the hogs did not seem to be able to see even when you shined it in their eyes. I will be going back to hunt this fall and want to change to an older longer wavelength laser but can't find one left in stock. All the dealers and manufacturers I have called are now supplying the shorter wavelength lasers because they are more sunlight visable. Any sources for 670nm or longer wavelength lasers?

Since the FDA regulates infrared, I wish someone would make lasers just higher in frequency than where the FDA regulation kicks in. I also wish they would make them at a much reduced power, < 1mW, for use with night vision. Any such device?

I have read that it is legal to purchase an infrared laser from an individual. I have also read that it is legal to change out the diode in a visable laser with an infrared diode for personal use, just not for resale. Any suggestions on a laser that the diode can be switched fairly easily?

Jameco Electronics has some laser diodes available. You might want to get a catalog or go on their web site.....also try Mouser Electronics or Information Unlimited web sites.....

John

Originally Posted By: john1951Jameco Electronics has some laser diodes available. You might want to get a catalog or go on their web site.....also try Mouser Electronics or Information Unlimited web sites.....

John

Thanks for the reply, but I have access to the diodes...I need a recommendation on which visable laser device to purchase that I can disassemble and change the diode. The diode in many of the laser devices is potted and almost impossible to remove without damaging the laser.

Back