Zepps predator calls?

warpig602

Just got back into calling and found these stashed in one of my hunting boxes. Are they good calls to use or will I end up scaring something away rather than calling them in? Any recommendations on some good calls that wont break the bank?

Last edited:
All kinds of great calls in the Custom call section...Come on over and check us out...These calls are handmade and tuned...Alot better warranty than most factory made....Chad

Originally Posted By: TA17remNothing wrong with Zepps calls, the double closed reed is really good and i would recomend it over a custom call..

Warpig just about any Custom Call maker can make a double closed reed and most of the call makers has a lifetime warranty on their calls no matter what happens....I dont think any company has a warranty like that... Im sure Zepps is a fine call also.....

Zepps calls are as good as any out there and the ratter is a great double reed call made in an aluminum body. Just because it is a production call doesn't mean it is any less capable of calling coyotes. Having met and talked to Mark , I would venture to guess that he would take care of you if you happened to have a problem with any of his products. He is also a member here. Shoot him a PM and see what he has to say.

Last edited:
Warpig602,

The Zepps calls are first rate. Mark has been building calls and calling coyotes since, well, long before some "custom call builders" got into this sport... Mark, hand tunes his closed reeds himself. Like most manufacturers he has a lifetime warranty.

If you want to see his calls in action, check out any of his three first class DVD's that he has produced.

I note you are from Arizona, if you are near Tucson swing in on one of the Southern Arizona Wildlife Callers meetings. Ask for Eddie Hawkens, or you may run into Mark at one of the meetings. Ask to be paired with Eddie, on one of the Monthly club hunts (if you are new to calling), watch and learn..

Good hunting,

AP

I have 2 of his DVD's, I think I've watched them about 20 times each. Thanks for all the info, I was pretty sure that Mark guaranteed his calls against any issues but couldnt remember for sure. I'm glad I picked these up then. As nice as the custom calls look there would be no way to spend 35.00 and up for one and still keep my wife around! Maybe one day i'll invest in a few.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootZepps calls are as good as any out there and the ratter is a great double reed call made in an aluminum body. Just because it is a production call doesn't mean it is any less capable of calling coyotes. Having met and talked to Mark , I would venture to guess that he would take care of you if you happened to have a problem with any of his products. He is also a member here. Shoot him a PM and see what he has to say.

I do have one of the rattlers, I originally picked this one up after watching one of Marks DVD's but never had a chance to use it.

I'm in the Phoenix area but would love to join in on one of the hunts and learn as much as possible. Maybe I'll have to make a trip down there soon, probably worth the drive just to learn form some of these guys.

Well you can always start a "slush" fund and purchase from one of the Custom Call builders here on the PM board. Lots of very well made and tuned calls to be had. And well worth the extra few bucks they cost.

Good hunting,

AP

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsWell you can always start a "slush" fund and purchase from one of the Custom Call builders here on the PM board. Lots of very well made and tuned calls to be had. And well worth the extra few bucks they cost.

Good hunting,

AP

My "slush" fund is constantly being depleted by everything else I've been buy lately, its an expensive and addicting sport! Being a beginner I doubt I would know the difference in sound.

Last edited:
I've bought plenty of custom calls from the makers on this forum, and I like all of them. That being said, it is my opinion that the Zepp's double reed is hands down the BEST production call out there. Some of Ty Nichols open reed calls sound similar to it. The solution: buy 'em all
eek.gif

I have the call named "The Rattler". I agree it is a nice call & works well.
For me, I find these drawbacks though:
#1) Being made from aluminum, you have to be extra careful to not accidently let it come in contact with anything that's not soft. Otherwise, you will hear that dreaded "metal clank" sound which all animals know isn't natural.
#2) Sometimes it's nice to use only one of the reeds, not both. Yes, I know, then use another call. But what if it's the only call you took to the stand? It would be a better call, IMO, if you could chose to use either one of the single reeds or both...depending on the situation.
#3) Being made from metal, in colder climates, touching that cold call to cold lips isn't a good idea.

I've got my Zepp's Rattler wrapped in camo tape. It doesn't take away from the sound quality any but makes it a lot more comfortable to handle in cold weather. I made a rubber mouth piece for it out of a cane tip and it works well. That call is small but it is seriously loud.

Back