New to reloading. I am getting the right stuff?

mtinaz

So I want to get into reloading here is a list of what I am getting. Did I miss anything important or "must" have? (besides components)
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 243 Winchester

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 243 Winchester

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #5 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester 50-Round Blue

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 270 Winchester

Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity

"ABC's of Reloading, 8th Edition" Book by Bill Chevalier

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 270 Winchester

Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings Package of 2

Do you have something to seat your primers? I think you should leave the bullet puller for now. Leaving the puller should save you a bit of cash.

I bought the Breech Lock kit about a year ago. It has served me well. I've loaded about 4500 .223 rounds over that time. It is starting to get a little loose from all the wear even though I keep it lubricated well. But a replacement is about $50.

If you have the cash for it, you may want to get a different scale, like the Lyman DPS III, or the RCBS one (forgot the name) if you're going to do any big volume. Or if you're a stickler for EXACT weight for the charge. Different schools of thought on that. Invest in a powder trickler if you don't go with the higher end scales.

Instead of the loading tray, I made my own out of a 1" x 12" by drilling holes the size of the case base.

Pick up a digital caliper. You can save about $25 if you pick it up at an auto parts store. The one I bought was $28 vs. the $54 Midway wanted for the same one.

Also a case trimmer. The trimmer that comes with the Breech Lock kit isn't the best. The chamfer/deburring tool is good to start with so you get an idea of the process, but you'll want to upgrade after a bit.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the new hobby!

Last edited:
First off I would dump the electronic scale for a good beam scale like a RCBS 505. Might cost a few buck more but those stand alone e-scales dont last long, they are junk. The 505 is a good little beam scale at a decent price that will last you a lifetime.

How about a can of One-Shot case lube?
Scrap the case length gages and get a caliper to measure with, you will use it for more things than you can think of anyways.

How about a powder measure of some sort, gotta throw the charge somehow, the teaspoon trickle to the pan on the scale gets old fast!

I am sure there is something else....always is.

Originally Posted By: mtinazThe kit comes with a the auto prime. I assumed it was all I needed to prime.

The auto prime works well, I just primed 200 cases while watching TV. Make sure there is no crimp on the cases, though.

Additionally, there are pieces that let you prime on the down stoke included in the Breech Lock kit. This method gives you more leverage.

Kit also comes with a tube of case lube. Simple to work with but the One-Shot is much easier and less messy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterFirst off I would dump the electronic scale for a good beam scale like a RCBS 505. Might cost a few buck more but those stand alone e-scales dont last long, they are junk. The 505 is a good little beam scale at a decent price that will last you a lifetime.

Scrap the case length gages and get a caliper to measure with, you will use it for more things than you can think of anyways.

How about a powder measure of some sort, gotta throw the charge somehow, the teaspoon trickle to the pan on the scale gets old fast!

I've got an RCBS 10-10 scale that is no longer made, I don't think. This scale is very well made and it has a sort of clear built in cover. I have one of the early RCBS elect scales this is the one I allways use. Works fine for me. I keep the 10-10 beam scale as a backup, and to wiegh black powder charges for my cannon. Can't use the elect scale for this, might cause detonation with black powder.
Grizz

I would get some Imperial Sizing Wax, instead of the One Shot. I have not had a stuck case with the Imperial. I also have the Breechlock kit, and it works well. I use a Hornady scale that I have had for a long time, and use it. No need, in my opinion, for an electronic. I bought a digital caliper from Harbor Freight, and it works well, and very resonable. What are you going to trim with?

kevlars

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEOriginally Posted By: FurhunterFirst off I would dump the electronic scale for a good beam scale like a RCBS 505. Might cost a few buck more but those stand alone e-scales dont last long, they are junk. The 505 is a good little beam scale at a decent price that will last you a lifetime.

I've got an RCBS 10-10 scale that is no longer made, I don't think. This scale is very well made and it has a sort of clear built in cover. I have one of the early RCBS elect scales this is the one I allways use. Works fine for me. I keep the 10-10 beam scale as a backup, and to wiegh black powder charges for my cannon. Can't use the elect scale for this, might cause detonation with black powder.
Grizz

Grizz
They still make the 10-10, why would they quit making the best beam scale on the market! I have one also, picked it up 2 years ago after selling my 505 to a new reloader. I went back to the beam scales after going thru 2 of the pact BBK scales and the older RCBS electronic trickler/scale combo units, which I still use from time to time but very little. When I set the measure on my dillon presses I do it with the 10-10.

I measure my black powder/pyrodex by the handful for my cannon!!! Usually about 3 small palm fulls of pyrodex is my scale!! I suppose I should use a consistent means of measure, but I just load it up and ram in a paper towel, drag it out in the backyard and light'r off! It will shake the windows of the house...prolly the neighbors house too, and it gets all the dogs a barking! Great fun for the 4th and new years!

I went with a digital scale they sell here at a sporting good store bought it for like 45 bucks and its been an awesome scale for me so far has weighed 450 22-250 and 240 .300 rum and so far its been spot on with my balance beam also get a pad to lube your cases I am pretty new to reloading got into it last fall and the guy at the gun shop just said ahh all ya need is your fingers to lube the cases up after 20 loads I went to get the rcbs pad its only like 5 or 10 bucks and DEF speeds things up also I learned the hard way and the guys here have helped me like you wont believe but learn how to properly set you dies thats my biggest tip I can give ya good luck and after you shoot your first critter you wont forget the feeling knowing you made that bullett that was a bigger moment for me then catching a fish on a pole and fly I made its a great hobby!!

My cannon is a 1/5th scale civil war .700 cal. I use 130 grains of ff black powder I make up pre measured blank charges
in alum foil. I live in a culdesac. On the 4th I'll fire a charge in the front yard, set off all the car alarms in the
neighborhood, grab the cannon and run back inside the house.
Just to repeat the process all over again after the neighbors
go back inside
smile.gif
I didn't know the 10-10 was still in production. These scales are made by the Ohaus scale co. I wonder if Ohaus makes an elect scale? I think if they did, it would be worth having. Ohaus has a good rep, Grizz

Originally Posted By: mtinazSo I want to get into reloading here is a list of what I am getting. Did I miss anything important or "must" have? (besides components)
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 243 Winchester

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 243 Winchester

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #5 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester 50-Round Blue

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 270 Winchester

Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity

"ABC's of Reloading, 8th Edition" Book by Bill Chevalier

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 270 Winchester

Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings Package of 2

Lots of good advice by the guys posting above.

Don't buy a digital scale, go beam balance, and get a good trickler, like the one Redding sells, so you can trickle powder up to the desired weight. I used the Lee Auto Prime tool for years to seat primers. That's a good place to start with seating primers.
Get a copy of Sinclair's Catalog that lists reloading equipment and leaf thru it looking at what's available. Your horizon will be expanded. I've switched over to a whole lot of Sinclair's equipment over the years.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEMy cannon is a 1/5th scale civil war .700 cal. I use 130 grains of ff black powder I make up pre measured blank charges
in alum foil. I live in a culdesac. On the 4th I'll fire a charge in the front yard, set off all the car alarms in the
neighborhood, grab the cannon and run back inside the house.
Just to repeat the process all over again after the neighbors
go back inside
smile.gif
I didn't know the 10-10 was still in production. These scales are made by the Ohaus scale co. I wonder if Ohaus makes an elect scale? I think if they did, it would be worth having. Ohaus has a good rep, Grizz

Ohaus does make digital scales, but I bought a Denver Instruments APX-153 Digital scale rather than an Ohaus. I do not use the digital scale for powder management however. I use it for weight sorting brass cases, 22 Rimfire ammo, and bullets. I leave the job of weighing powder to an old Ohaus beam balance scale, and trickle up using a Redding trickler. The Redding trickler is HEAVY and does not mover around on you when trickling, something I think is important.
I have a lot of time available in my life, and speeding up the loading process isn't important to me.

Why bother with the reloading manuals when you can get all the free information you need from a complete stranger on the internet??
grin.gif

Just kidding... The manual should be at the top of your list.
You might want to get the manuals first and then make your list after reading them.
A good manual will walk ya through the whole process and show ya what you need to get started.

Carefull though... This stuff is adicting..

Why all the negativity towards digital scales? I have the RCBS Chargemaster, the ONLY reason I would use a balance scale now is if the power went out!

I agree with whoever said ditch the bullet puller...spend that money on a better digital scale...RCBS. Also, the calipers are a MUST HAVE. Don't mean to flame or offend, but are you on a tight budget? Why all the Lee and Frankfurt Arsenal equipment?

I use a digital and a beam scale. I dump my powder from a Lee Perfect measure about a half grain shy and trickle the rest into the pan. I double check the weight about every fifth or sixth load on the beam scale, and every time time I change charge weight.
Like Timberbeast said, the calipers are a MUST HAVE. I bought a set of the Frankford Arsenal dial calipers several years ago and they work great....and no battery to replace.

Last edited:
Yes I am on a very tight buget and need to get started with as little out lay as possible. Once I get going the check book wont notice an extra 50$ now and then. The kit does come with a beam scale but the reviews on it said it sucked so I went with a digital that was like 40% off.

Cool, just curious. One of the big areas you should not skimp is the scale...if you can't afford a QUALITY electronic scale you can trust, get a QUALITY balance scale. You spend a lot of money on powder and bullets to have marginal accruacy because your scale is only so-so. This is not saying what you have is not going to work, I don't have any experience with it, but some corners can be cut...some cannot. Good luck and have fun...as mentioned above reloading is addicting!

Thanks for all the input. I removed the digital scale and will use the one in the kit to start. If I end up reloading a lot I will spend the $$$ on a much higher end scale.

Back