Time for a new bow

bighornboy

I have been shooting a Reflex Grizzly for 5+ years now. Was a good bow then, not so much now. Help me decide on a new one. I have shot several of the newer bows and kinda narrowed it down to Bow Techs (shot a couple all felt good), Matthews (shot the Reezen, not the Monster), or the PSE X Force. Should I get one this fall, or wait until Spring to see what comes out in 2010?

I usually buy late fall when most have hung'em up and the shops want to sell to get ready for next year. As far as waiting til the new ones come out well you usually end up paying more and you may or may not get any improvement on last years.All the above are very good and its what you liked that matters.

New bows are like new cars or trucks, you may buy the newest model but there will always be something "new and better" that comes out. I'd get whatever feels good and shoots the best for you.

There are some good deals on bowtechs on archery talk i bought one that was new in the box but last years bow $750.00 bow i paid $400.00

Gary

I would never buy a bow online. A archery pro shop has so much more to offer. The service and 99% of the time it is free no problem service and help with adjustments and tuning help that is priceless. Having a good bow that is set up just right for you that is tuned and you can have 100% confidence in, is the difference between being a good shot and being frustrated all the time. I will pay a little more knowing a little local shop can keep there doors open and provide good service and great conversation. Those local shop will give you deals. They want your business and they know you will come back if you leave that first time happy and impressed.

I shoot Hoyt because they are solid tuff as nails and easy to tune. My broad heads shoot just like my field points. 75% percent of all the tournaments in the world are won buy Hoyt. And you never hear off a hoyt limbs blowing up.

I wouldn't buy the newest model. You can get the last year's model for half price if you hunt around and use the rest of the cash to set it up. That's what I did and I saved hundreds.

Go shoot a bunch of different models if you can. Don't overlook some brands because they don't have big tv commercials. Kodiak, for example, blows any Matthews, BT, or Hoyt away for smoothness, both on the draw and on the shot. If you can, shoot them all before you make up your mind. Don't just buy into the high speed hype, find a bow that tickles your comfortable button, and get that one.

BTW, I shoot the same bow, but I still love mine.

Athens Archery over by me has some real nice bows from what I hear. They are kind of up and coming. Haven't shot one yet but know some guys who have and they love them.

I bought 2006 HOYT IN 2007,it was a 50th anniversary lazertech and I got the greatest deal! I paid half price for the bow at an archery shop.

Shoot a lot of bows and make your own decision. Forget price. You don't want last years bow and wish you had got the better bow. I wouldn't settle for a bow thats slower or is lower quality. I think you probably have your mind made up so just get the one you want and go have fun.

I just bought a Bowtech Guardian 08 model for half of what the shop here wanted off of Ebay. Brand New in box with the lifetime warranty.

I would recomend the pse but thats only because i shoot a pse, but buy the bow that you like the best and fits well with you

If you shot the PSE X-Force it is very similiar to the Mathews Monster in its draw cycle. Both the Monster and X-Force are very radical cams with very short brace heights. You may know what that means and if you do, I dont mean to offend but in laymans terms, they are not as forgiving or as easy to shoot. That is the sacrifice for speed.

Many good bows out there and I agree with wishin4dogs when he said shoot as many different bows as you can and go with what feels the best.

I do disagree that a Kodiak "blows away any Mathews, BT or Hoyt for smoothness both on the draw or on the shot"

Also, put very little stock in IBO speed ratings for bows. First off you pay for that speed with very radical cams and draw cycles as well as smoothness, handshock and forgiveness. Second, you will never come close to those IBO speeds with a hunting set up. Its impossible and anyone who tells you otherwise is not chronographing their arrows. Speed is not the end all anyway.

Pay attention to brace height. You give up some speed but the larger that number, the more forgiving the bow is which translates into shootability. Anything above 7" and closer to 8" will translate into a very smooth and forgiving hunting rig. Also worth noting is, the faster you shoot, the more you give up the ability to shoot fixed blade heads. The faster the arrow, the harder it is to stabalize an arrow tipped with a fix blade, sometimes even with a perfectly tuned bow.

I shoot a 2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 32 with a 7" brace height. I am shooting 76 lbs with a 27 1/2" draw length. I am pushing 400 grain Easton Axis arrows at 295 fps which is very fast for a hunting rig. I generate about 77 ft lbs of Kinetic Energy with that set up. Despite that fact, the bow is quiet, smooth and easy to shoot very well. What I found interesting was that I can shoot a lighter all carbon arrow (about 30 to 35 grains lighter) and I can break the 300 fps mark. What I did not really gain was any more Kinetic Energy because while I increase speed I suffer a loss in mass (weight). So there is a point where an increase in speed yields minimal gains to no gains.

I do agree that the Hoyts are bullet proof but many bow companies are producing some excellent bows including but not limited to Hoyt, Bow Tech, Diamond, Mathews, PSE, Kodiak, High Country, Bear, Parker and now even Limb Saver. Any and all will do the job if they feel good and allow you to slip a sharp broadhead into the boiler room.

good post HPD
some people get caught up in the speed craze and are unaware of what they are trading to get it
but it does come down to putting a arrow where it is supposed to be

Technology can only go so far in making up for lack of skill/practice.

Just my opinion, but a bow is like any other piece of equipment. Will top of the line Ping clubs make you a better golfer? No. Skis? No. Shoes? No. Ad infinitum...

Some may "take you to the next level". Some might be more comfortable or lighter or prettier. Bottom line, bows are designed for basically 2 things... to shoot stuff and to make the manufacturer money.

Again, just my very unknowledgable opinion, but an "average guy/hunter" like most of us are, will do just as good with an average bow as we will with a top of the line bow. They are just not as sexy.

But for the record, I bought the nicest bow I could afford...
laugh.gif

HPD I believe has nailed this one. I acquired a Parker Raptor and have been pleased with it. My brother has the Hoyt Alphamax and I have shot it also. Couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between them. I think whatever you are comfortable with will give you more confidence and a better chance at whatever game you go after.

Back