Decoy Dogs

coyotecontrol

Does anyone know how to train a decoy/tolling dog? without having to buy tapes or videos on the subject.
i am from LaBolt SD, that is 12 miles south of Milbank SD.

Im training one as we speak . it takes alot of time , and alot of patience . take dog to sets with you , let dog see whats going on. let dog beat up wounded or dead coyotes . after a while the dog will get the idea of whats going on , and the dog will start looking for coyotes for you .train dog to return to you useing lip squeaks ,as this will not alarm coyotes . I got all my info from a guy named Steve Nordstrom . He has been useing decoy dogs for a few years now . it works , just takes time .Unless you have a real stupid dog they will learn whats going on in a matter of a few months . he started his dogs out at 5 and 6 months of age . just be carefull not to let your dog get mauled by a coyote , this will ruin a good pup in short order , or turn him into a too aggresive animal. Ill keep youm posted on my sucess , another great way is do some trapping , and take the dogs on you inspection runs with you . let them work the trapped coyotes . Jerry .

I have a Leopard Cur mix some people say the Catahoola and Leopard are the same breed others say they are seperate breeds. My dog has a blue fleck in one eye. Your dog should be a good one they have plenty of grit if the coyotes want to rumble mine will mix it with them. Hope your dog works out for ya Jerry!

Thanks Rob , I have great expectations for OBE . I just have to keep him away from my wife ( she spoils him) . A hunting dog does not belong with a woman LOL. he is still young( 6 months and 44 lbs) and learning , but he sure does like to maul the dead coyotes . Ill keep you all posted . Jerry .

Originally posted by Dakotadawg:
[qb]Coyotecontrol, do you have many 'yotes in your country?[/qb]
i have some in the trees along the river and in an old gravel pit that is in the middle of a bean field. it has 300-500 yards of open field between the pit and the trees, so if i miss the yote i have lots of time to take it out.

Back