got a ?

bluto

somebody's gota ask.
I've never hunted with a bow. matter a fact the only time i ever shot a bow was at boy scout camp 15-20 yrs ago.

and to my q.
what bow or starter kit would would recommend for somebody trying it out? would be useing it on white tails and small game.

thanks for the replies.

I would tell you to go to a archery pro shop and get fitted with a bow that fits you. They will also set you up with the right arrows and other things you will need. Also while there you can talk to other bow hunters and you will learn alot.......good luck......stump

What I would do if I were you would be go to your local archery shop and explain that you are just starting out and have them set you up with a couple of different bows for you to shoot and see which one that fits you and is comfortable to you.Because what I think might be a good starter bow for you might not be comfortable to you.Lots of luck and hope you find a bow that you like.

+1 on the above, plus try out a few and go home and think about it. Dont go on a another persons preference. On a bow if it dont feel right it probably isnt right. A bow is more personal than a gun and less forgiving. JMHO

Quote:
+1 on the above, plus try out a few and go home and think about it. Dont go on a another persons preference. On a bow if it dont feel right it probably isnt right. A bow is more personal than a gun and less forgiving. JMHO

bluto,
+1 on what ozzy has stated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it. The fit and feel of a bow is very important to the shooter. Archery pro shops are the way to go for good equipment and good advice.

Speaking of good advice...do some reading here: www.archerytalk.com/vb/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

+ 1 on going to the local shop , also learn to judge distance and have fun with it . If you want shoot in some 3-d shoots and learn to judge distance . make shure that the bow fits you not you fitting the bow nothing worse than the arm slap ( hopefully you don't find out what this is) and did I mention learn to judge distance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

If I were you, I would listen to the fellas above, only I would get the best bow out there, Mathews of course, that way your not wasting money working your way up to the best! It is costly, but worth it! Another thing, find someone who also enjoys shooting a bow and shoot together, makes it a lot more fun!

all good answeres. you may be in for sticker schock though. keep in mind most pro shops will try to tell you you need this brand "x" bow. and it will ussally be a high priced one. for a begginer, there are lower priced quality bows that will serve you just fine. good luck

Rubenator I don't want to start a argument about which bow is the best personaly I don't like the small throated grip of a mathews never have just don't feel right in my hand . If by some chance that mathews is what you feel that you have to have and don't want to sink the money into that for a starter bow check out missionarchery.com it is mathews bows earler year models with a different name and less cost also check out keystonecountrystore.com they carrie a lot of bows that you can window shop and see which one strikes your fancy .

Well, I'm going to take a different approach here. Also one that might save you some coin.

Something you might think about, is picking up a cheap traditional bow at a pawn shop, garage sale, or maybe in the classifieds of an archery web site.

I'll bet you can pick up an old Ben Pearson or maybe a Bear recurve for $75.00 or less. Put a new string on it, buy a glove, an armguard, and a dozen arrows with field points and a dozen arrows with broadheads and you'd be in business.

I just hate to see someone go out and put down all that money for a top of the line wheel bow, when he doesn't even know if it's "for him". Which, let's face it, it isn't for everybody. And unless something's changed, the resale on a compound bow is bad. At least it used to be.

Hunting with a traditional bow isn't all together that much different than hunting with a wheel bow. You just have to practice [fun] a little more and know your limitations. If you're consistantly putting your arrows into the kill zone of your deer target at 15 yards but seem to spray them all over the place at 25yards, then your effective range would be about 15 yards.

The same principal applies to wheel bows too, but with sights, it makes it a little easier to extend that effective range.IMHO.

Shooting a traditional bow instictively [no sights] requires lots of practice [fun] to develop form and muscle memory. But what's funner than flinging arrows?

The last year I hunted with a compound, I had the top of the line, fastest bow you could buy, with top of the line sights. With 65% let off, I could draw that bow and hold it forever. Anything within 40 yards was easy pickins. Now, if you're just out to kill a deer, that's the way to do it. If you're out for a little more of a challenge, try a traditional bow.

With a traditional bow [recurve/longbow], when you're drawing the bow, it just gets heavier the further back you pull it. There's no pulling it back and waiting for the perfect shot placement. There's just you waiting for the perfect oppurtunity to draw and shoot in one motion.

Again, it's not for everyone, and traditonal is especially not for everyone, I just thought I'd show you another angle to approach the sport of bowhunting. Good luck in your decision.

the bowhunting industry has become all about the lastest, greatest, fastest bows. There are literally dozens of guys that come into our shop each year and trade in, or sell of 1 or 2 year old bows just so they gain a few fps. The markup on new bows is high. The resale of used bows is low. Kinda like buying a new car, they lose about 30% just taking them outta the shop. If you don't think you'll like it, start with a used bow.

Whether you decide to go new or used, go to an archery shop that knows what they're doing. Try to find one with a nice used selection. Most shops will have bows completely setup ready to shoot, or will set one up for you. Shoot a few and find the one that "feels" right for you. There's a lot of good bow companies out there right now.

Whatever you decide, DON'T buy a bow from Walmart, a catalog or the internet or whatever, sight unseen. They need to be set up properly by someone that knows how to do it. You'll get better service going to a local shop.

bownut

Find a bowshop with a good reputation, ask them for help. They will help you get you started, set up with the best bow that your budget allows. and have alot of fun with it, I shot a bow year around. It is a blast, good luck and you can learn a ton from the long time shooters here, I have.

Back