High or low ?

I killed my first deer spot and stalk but quickly figured out to get in a tree made your success go way up. Since moving to Texas I have adapted to the ground blind. In S. Texas a Double Bull blind brushed in is the ticket. Now for Elk, Caribou,hogs /jav.spot and stalk is productive. If possible though I take to the tree stand for whitetails.

Killed my first buck on the ground last season. Stalked him in a misty drizzle and laced his lungs @ 26yds. Otherwise, I'm shooting from the trees..

Killed a few while sitting on the ground along migration trails when I was younger. All others have been from a tree stand. I prefer being in a tree.

Of all the deer I have ever killed only one was killed from a treestand. I used to hunt out of stands all the time but for some reason I always had better luck on the ground.

Definately treestands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Groundblinds, in Ohio, don't seem to have the success that treestands produce and I'm guessing that the reason for that is human exposure. The deer in this state see too many people and are aware of something new on the ground, like a groundblind.

Ofcourse, I'm refering to portable groundblinds. Perminately constructed groundblinds allow the deer to get used to them. I'm not leaving a portable groundblind out there to be stolen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I prefer the visability advantage of a treestand, over a groundblind. In a groundblind, I feel like a deer's going to sneak up on me and I won't see it until it's too late. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

All low here. Calling elk, you need to be mobile to stay on the bulls. Deer for where I hunt is lots of time behind glass, then stalk. I do know guys that hunt the same terrain that I do and have had decent success. I just don't have the patience set and wait for something to happen.

Stalking them on the ground. I don't care for heights too much. I have built some ground blinds but I have never had anything come close enough except for some turkeys.

Trees for whitetail, groundblind and stalking for antelope and calling/stalking for elk. I did hunt mule deer from a treestand last year but didn't get the right one to come by.

I hunt eastern deer so I really don't know what it takes to harvest the big boys in other parts of the country. I am shore it's like harvesting coyotes, different situation call for different tactics.
On the east coast it's height will put the fur in the bed of your truck and the horns on your wall .30 feet and higher is my happy zone. and exclusively climber stands .

There are days i like to sit up again's the base old tree or in a brush pile some days i like to paint my face and still hunt the day away but to constantly put big horn on the ground you need to play the tree stand game .

low the only succses i have seen a tree stand work on any thing is in souther utah for elk antolope and deer and 1 coyote. we hunt spot and stock its a lot more fun and you see more stuff to shoot.

hunt deer from a tree mostly although I have gotten a few from stalking
only used a blind once ..for a archery turkey
never hunted any other big game with archery gear ......Yet
smile.gif

Typically i hunt out of tree stands, haven't had much experience with ground blinds. I have done some spot and stalking and really enjoy it. Typically i reserve spot and stalking for rain days.

Back