What was your first kill, with a bow?

bowhunter57

I bowhunted for several years before making my first kill with a bow. Actually, I was walking to a treestand, for deer hunting, when a groundhog gave me a shot. I was using an old 6 wheeled Bear Whitetail, a Satilite 3 blade broadhead and fiberglass arrows with 5" feathers.

Using an instinctive shooting method and a 3-fingered glove, I canted the bow and made my shot. A perfect chest shot! The groundhog was 14 lbs. and was my first archery kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was shaking like it was a P&Y trophy...and it was to me. After that, I was hooked and took a long look at the weapon in my hand. At that point is when I realized that I could actually kill something with a bow. Been bowhunting ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What was your first archery kill?
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

My first archery kill was a doe that weighed about 40 lbs field dressed but man I'll tell ya what that baby was a trophy It was like I shot the biggest buck.It was my first year of bowhuntin and I shot her on the 3rd from the last day of the season,I hunted hard that season messed up so many times oh those learning years,don't get me wrong I am still learning today 15 yrs later just learned from my mistakes.

My first animal was a Grey squirrel at 10 yards quartering away . That thing ran couple steps jumped onto the side of a tree and then fell over that has been almost 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was my first deer . The bow was a hoyt Spectra Eclipse 2117 arrows and Rocky Mountain broad heads .

Last edited:
Ive only been shooting a bow under a year but have blasted a few jacks at close range. Work doesnt allow me enough time to practice enough to be consistant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My first was a Red Squirrel in a big Pecan tree in our back yard when I was about 13, with a Hickory long bow with a 40# pull..

A badger on my way to the treestand... not real sure who scared who the most... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's been long ago !
I think it was a pear from my grandpa's pear tree ! lol
Shot with an old fiberglass youth recurve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The first thing I remember killing with a bow was a spike bull elk when I was 13 years old. Shot it with a 50lb martin lynx, 2216's and 145gr bear super razor heads. I also recall shooting a porcupine in the rear with a rubber blunt around the same time. Didin't kill it, but sure did pi$$ it off.

I had a Martin Lynx I shot it so much it only lasted about 90days and the limbs cracked and Martin replaced it with a Warthog model.I think I killed a few birds with my dads Ben Pearson before I moved up to armadillos and squirrels.

I shot a yearling buck antelope that I stalked. I think the bow was called a Bear Grizzly if I'm not mistaken. He ran about 50 yards and fell over dead. I was amazed that an arrow could kill something so quick.

That was 1982 and my first year of bowhunting. I was already hooked from earlier in that season. I shot four arrows at a VERY small mule deer spike and he just kept hanging around letting me shoot at him. After four arrows, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find all my arrows and that if I had missed him four times, he deserved to live. What hooked me was the adrenalin rush. That little spike had my heart pounding like never before and I couldn't catch my breath. I had never had buck fever like that before and I don't think I have since. I was 28 years old and had been killing deer with a rifle since I was 12. I thought that if a little spike could get me that excited, bowhunting had to be the way to go. Even today, I can watch deer walk under my stand all day long and not get excited but when I decide I'm going to shoot an animal, I still get the same rush, even on does. Most of the time, I'm better able to control myself now.

A skunk at 30 yards. Needless to say, The hunt was over for the day and it was a good while before I retrieved that arrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My first deer, shot a doe at age 14. I was hunting after school every day of the season... into my second year I believe. Mostly with my older brother, but regularly alone. When I got the deer I was alone. One of those top level thrills! Lifetime memory!

Gonna bowhunt again this year, first time in probably 12 years...

a saw-whet owl (really). got a toy bow for x-mas when i was about 10 and went out in the tree's near where i lived and i saw this bird sitting on a limb and arrowed it. boy did i get an a$$ chewing from dad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

A doe whitetail.
I'll never forget that feeling or the sound of the arrow's impact!
Was hunting alone on state land from a climbing treestand using a PSE Nova that I practiced all year with. She ran 60yds and died. 3/4 mile drag to the truck and field dressed her in the Toyota's headlights. I was still shaking from the adrenaline two hours later...

My first kill would be a chipmunk. When I was seven I was kinda limited on what I could hunt. Made a tree stand out of some lumber, put some bird seed out about 7-8 yards and sat there.
The first real kill was a doe fawn when I was 12, the first year that I could legally hunt with a bow in Michigan. I do remember that I was very excited.

My first deer ever was with a bow , it was a whitetail doe to many to count since then though and many squirrel and rabbits also. I think the most fun I've ever had hunting was seeing someone else shoot thier first deer with a bow it was my uncle and it was funny as he!! I ain't never seen somebody shake that bad before or since then.

I shot a nice 8 point buck about midway through the first season I ever bowhunted. I was standing in a homemade tree stand and it was getting dark quick. The snow was coming down hard. In a word, it was a perfect evening.

I had just deemed it too dark to keep hunting and started to lower my bow down with a rope when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. There he was. It wasn't too dark anymore. Back up came the bow and here he came.

He was standing about 15-20 yards in front of me when I shot him. He only ran about another 50 yards and piled up in the soybean field.

There I was, all by myself, hootin' and hollerin' like crazy! I was able to pull my truck right up to him. It was tough getting him loaded, he was big and the bed was slick, but I got him loaded.

I was so exited to show everyone I knew, I didn't even field dress him. Just loaded him up and took off with a smile from ear to ear. Man, that seems like a long time ago.

Back