Help for a beginner

Gomer746

Im looking to get into trapping in the Michigan UP this fall/winter. I have access to a large chunk of land and was going to try to target coons, fox, and coyote. This area has a hardwood stand, a stream, upland aspens, and everything in between. I was wondering what I should get as far as equipment, I would like to try one trap size, but need some advise. I read that I could use 4 coil, 1.75 coil traps for all the species. Does anyone have any more tips or advise? Thanks.

get some 1.5's for the coons or your have problems. the 1.75's wil work for the k9's. you have to guide a lot with yotes to get them on the pan of a 1.75 but its do able /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

what ever you do, make sure your traps are staked solid.if ya need help with the guiding let me know, I'll get ya some pics to help ya out.

thanks, the only reason i wanted to stick with one "all purpose trap" was that i could order a dozen or so because of being a little money tight, thanks for the advise though.

Help with guiding would be great, also where would you recommend to get traps from?

Mr. ASA LENON is the man to get in touch with. He resides in gulliver michigan. Never ordered any traps from him BUT his lures are top notch. I know he frequents trapperman.com.

chris from nv.

look a 1 1/2 will hold coon,fox,bobcats,yotes, easy,, i use victor 1 1/2 softcatch with number 2 music wire springs put on them... i have had pullouts but that is rare. will bigger traps with coon is that they will bite at the trap and get there toes .... i have held 40's and 50 pound yotes in 1 1/2

Quote:
thanks, the only reason i wanted to stick with one "all purpose trap" was that i could order a dozen or so because of being a little money tight, thanks for the advise though.

Help with guiding would be great, also where would you recommend to get traps from?

these guys would be closer to you then Asa, and they are reasonly priced. I get a lot of equipment from them and they are top notch.

http://www.nwtrappers.com/

Quote:

All I do for guiding is: I sift my dirt over the trap and get it packed in solid, then I take 3 of the bigger, about dime to quarter size dirt clogs or and put them in a V position in the pattern, I put one at each lever, on the side closest to the hole, then I put one just offset from the dog closes to you, almost on the edge of the pattern, then I sift a final covering over my pattern. there should be enough dirt over everything so the clogs look like they are naturally sticking up out of the ground. you don't want to cover them so they are hid, a K9 doesn't like to step on something sticking up any more then you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif so they will step over the clog at the dog and hit the pan sqare because the other 2 clogs will keep them from side stepping the pan. I hope this helps, if I get a chance, I'll try to get pics posted later this week.

you can also do the V thing with small twigs, or if your in a corn field, corn stalk pieces will work. all your doing is telling Mr Songdog where he WILL put his foot , not where he thinks he wants to put it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Hey Gomer, I don't want to be a fly in the ointment but have you read the MI trapping regulations? I'm talking about the part as to how it relates to WI residents, if you are one? This may not apply, if so pardon me. There are a few possible gray areas. Maybe even as an 'assistant' to a MI resident? Private land is also easier to deal with.

Anyway, coons are easy to catch. The others a little more effort. I'd at least put a mink set along the creek & if any open water look to beaver & muskrat. A fisher/bobcat cubby in thick cover is another idea, it will also catch coons. With a coyote set you would eventually have a wolf snap the trap, you will never hold one in a 1.75. Beaver meat makes a good predator bait.

With a coyote set you would eventually have a wolf snap the trap, you will never hold one in a 1.75.

Thats a good thing, it keeps you from having to release the dang thing, plus it educates it to stay way from your sets. sounds like win/win for both the wolf and trapper.

But I would hate to burst you bubble on the 1.75 holding a wolf. I have seen pics of a wolf in a #2 and there isn't that much difference between a 1.75 and a 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Im going to school at Michigan Tech, so as a student I qualify for resident status, but your heads up on that. Im on CFR land, know the real owner, not to many wolves, but dont really want to have to release on if caught.

Great place to order traps is from Minnisota Trapline Products, Tim & Nancy Caven are two of the nicest folks you could do business with their # is 1-320-599-4176 call for a free supply catalog very prompt shipping. Might i suggest ordering a couple 120conibears for mink,muskrats&pinemarten about 4 1.5 coils for coon,fox,mink a couple 220-conibears for coon,fishers check w/state regs. before setting 220s on land and 4 #3 size traps for coyotes, i emphisize this size trap for coyotes because i specialize in coyote trapping, yes you can hold a coyote in a 1.75 but a 6.5inch jawspread is a bigger target area use steel screen for pancovers, the best coyote trappers in the country advocate using a #3size trap Craig O Gorman, Slim Pederson, Clint Locklear just to name a few, also order a couple how to books on the species your targeting i could go on forever so feel free to pm me i could help out with some extra traps i would donate you to help get you started for payment i ask that when you become a proficient trapper that you help out someone else getting started trapping, we need future trappers or else there wont be anyone left to defend our sport.

like you Im a beginner, I dont trap a whole lot of land, just a bit around my hunting shack until I get better.

I had success by using some 110's, I dig a little hole under the water, then cover it up with a bit of muck/weeds, then I use wire anchors in the bank. I take a whole can of sardines, crack it and pour out some of the oil out around the site, (i reuse the tin over again). then I stick the tin in a whole on the bank. If the tin gets old I open it up and mix the sardines with some fish oil an start again until its gone.

first time I got a coon and 2 muskrat in one nite, 3 of the 5 traps produced for me. I kept them about 50-75yds apart.

Its alot of fun.

Good luck

Dave

Hey Gomer i sent u a PM if your still interseted in those coyote traps but havnt heard back from you, im new to this computer stuff so maybe i did something wrong in sending it, anyway i didnt want you thinking i was ignoring you if you happened to not get the PM.

Back