Have you ever seen a predator kill its prey?

Lonny

Who out there has witnessed a predator kill a prey animal? Like a coyote or coyotes killing deer fawn or adult deer. Or any other scenario that you might have seen involving a predator getting their lunch.

Some of you might recall AzWill's outing when he was trying out the Phantom caller and got to see a lion kill a javelina. I want to hear your stories. Thanks

------------------

I saw a mountain lion chewing on a fawn up by Willard peak many years ago. I don't know if the lion killed the deer to begin with, but I watched in my scope (during the deer hunt) as the lion tore the fawn apart. There are people here who know how much I hate lions. As I said before, I have my own reasons. I sure wanted to pop that cat big time and I had him dead to rights. I just didn't have a tag. MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Sit, stay, lie down! Bad dog!

I watched a jake gobbler strutting in a small field near the edge of the woods once. A coyote blasted out of the woods and nailed that turkey so fast I hardly realized what had happened. I've had coyotes respond to turkey calls several times. My Dad had a fox nearly climb into his lap once while calling a gobbler.
I also have wintnessed coyotes chase deer several times. Once, I tracked a deer herd and several coyotes came onto the herd. The tracks told the story of how they seperated one deer from the rest of the herd. I followed the tracks further through the woods that snowy morning and came upon a pack of five coyotes attempting to kill a adult doe. She was backed against a small bluff as the coyotes were fanned out in front of her. A coyote would lunge in toward the doe, the doe responded with hoof strikes. However, as she turned to strike the attacker another coyote would lunge in on her. I shot one of the coyotes and the rest vanished. Curiously, the doe responded by running within a few yards of me and staying there for several minutes. It was as if she sensed I was her protector or something.

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

Watched a bobcat sneak up on a chucker and get it, also seen three coyotes try to ambush a young dog, but the dog got away because the coyotes saw me, lucky for the dog. I saw one on TV that showed a coyote eating on a sheeps hind end as the sheep was walking away, sheep are not to smart.

once I saw two coyotes, chase and kill a gray fox, the fox put up one heck of a fight, don't ever corner a fox, I had a coyote come to a call with a rabbit in its mouth, and saw three coyotes tring to take a fawn away from a doe, shot one coyote, plus I kill my first lion, as it was about to jump a deer, and I got the deer to, we were both after the same deer.

Watched a coyote sneak along a 6 foot block wall, then jump straight up and snatch a pigeon off the top of it. Saw a bobcat stalk a sage hen for 15 minutes and finally catch it. Saw many different kinds of raptors taking birds and rabbits. Even watched a butcherbird catch and kill a field mouse. It's hard to spend any time in the outdoors and not witness how nature feeds its own.

Several years back I saw a dozen wolves going after a moose that they had trapped on river ice. It had no chance. Have seen fox nail rabbits before. Watched a bald eagle take a seagull out of the air and haul it off.

------------------
John/AK

I have seen the same thing as Jeep once. I called in a mature male coyote with a cottontail in his mouth. Greedy thing got shot!

I walked into an area getting ready to make a stand. Sit down under a tree, get the rifle ready, look over at my partner getting ready to start calling. Then over a small hillside I see a jsckrabbitt legging it fast as he could. He had a mature coyote on his tail. The rabbitt ran with twenty yards of us were my friend shotgunned him then the rabbitt.
wink.gif

Probably one of the best bird kills I have seen was at Copper Canyon in Lake Powell. A paragin falcon dive bombed a teal duck. I was amazed at the speed of the bird, he did a complete fold and literally fell a 1/2 mile high from the sky. I believe it when they say these birds hit over 239 mph!! Duck did not have a chance.

Chad

Seen coyotes eatin on Sheep,they grab um by their throat to bring um down,then they start to eat um from the A$$.Quite a sight to behold.Lots of blood..

Don't know exactly why, but I have not seen a great deal of this. Mostly while calling, I have had coyotes, while responding, flush jackrabbits, that I didn't know were there. True to form, I can't make book on what happened next because some of those coyotes watched the jack, but continued on to the call, while about half of them turned off and caught the jack in no time, and ran off, never to be seen again. So, most of the time, except once, I never saw them actually eat the rabbit. But, the one time I did, he choked down large parts, reminded me of a crocodile or a great white shark. They aren't picky eaters, head tilted up and swallowed the chunks whole, no chewing to speak of. Maybe some are more deliberate, this one didn't mess around.

Good hunting. LB

I watched a coyote seperate a fawn fro m a doe while bowhunting once. The doe would stike the coyote wit it's front hooves and give chase when the coyote ran. The coyote ran up over the ridge into the next canyon with the doe in pursuit, after a time it would run back to the fawn and run alongside it trying to get a grip on it's neck and the doe would catch up and they would repeat the process. This went on for at least an hour. Finally the fawn ran over a 30 ft. cliff and landed on the rocks below which killed it, The doe continued to chase the coyote, they both disappeared and didn't return. One I really appreciated though was while javelina hunting I was sitting in a heavily wooded wash, the palo verde, mesquite and ironwood growing on the banks made a tunnel with a conopy. The trees were full of roosting doves and the wash was full of dove feathers. Suddenly up the wash and moving toward me was the whistling and rushing sound of the doves wings and a kestrel came rocketing through the limbs, twisting and turning and plucked a dove off a branch and kept on going with it. Feathers were drifting down into the wash. The dove was as big as the kestrel. It was so fast and precise that I was really impressed.

While working summer fallow in the tractor a jackrabbit jumped past the front of it into the ground that had already been worked. A hawk came dive bombing in but at the last second the rabbit juked him and the hawk kind of slammed into the ground. He was still there on the next pass by just sort of stumbling around. I bet that rabbit had a cold beer that night.lol lol

HAVE HAD YOTES EATING ON A LAMB WHILE CHECKING OUR PADDOCKS. THY HAD THE LAMB PULLED UNDER THE FENCE SO IT COUND NOT GET UP TO GET AWAY, JUST EATING THROUGH THE POOR THINGS HIND QUARTERS. I DIDN'T HAVE A GUN WITH ME TO DISPATCH THE PREDATOR; HAD TO GO BACK TO THE HOUSE TO GET ONE TO PUT THE LAMB OUT OF IT'S MISERY. THAT'S WHEN I STARTED PREDATOR HUNTING.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Damn, I would like to say something about anybody using caps, to me its no big deal, but to others, somehow they think your yelling at em, I guess they have a right to think that way, but I never saw a letter yet that hurt my ears??????? It's all about having fun I though? GOOD HUNTING.

I saw a large cougar sneaking up on my wife one time. I almost yelled out a warning, but decided to just let the dang cougar learn his lesson the hard way.
smile.gif

I once saw a large ferral cat kill a jack rabbit in about two seconds with a bite to the back of the neck. I don't much care for ferral dogs or cats and neither does my rifle.
Zipedo

I have seen coyotes catch rabbits turkeys and snakes watching a coyote catch a rattlesnake is something every one should see.

It was also fun to see a bobcat catch a muskrat the young cat did not want to get wet but hunger overcame his dislike of water.

Sorry River Runner about the caps, it did look bad after I sent it. There just one of those bad habits you get into when there required at work.

Pound is located 45 miles north of Green Bay, on 141; 28 miles west of Marinette/Menominee on 64.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Back