AZ US Border Patrol Stops Man, Who is in the Right? YOUR Call!

Javafour

For once I'm not offering an opinion here right off the bat. I want to see what you guys think of this. All I'll say by way of setup is that a fireman is at a US Border Patrol checkpoint and the incident is not at the border but in a border state.

What do you think? Is the guy a jerk hassling LEO's doing their thankless job against the increasingly dangerous bad guys or are they nun-chuck wielding intimidators who are off the reservation, abusing their authority against a normal US citizen?

YOU make the call!

i would like to see the beginning before he pulled up to the checkpoint. it could go either way. did he act suspicious as he was pulling up? did he do something that would catch the eye of the agents before he started recording? or it could be that the agents are just tired of people acting like a a$$. its hard to tell without knowing the whole story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think the guy in the car could have been a bit more cooperative. He really started the whole deal on the wrong foot. That being said......If it wasnt a border crossing, I wouldnt let them search me or my vehicle either, I would have just gone about it in a different way.

Quote:
...off the reservation, abusing their authority against a normal US citizen.

Attempting to abuse their authority. The fact that he was allowed to leave without undergoing the search and other threats that he had been violating the law (blocking a lane of the Interstate Highway, failure to show a drivers license, etc.) pretty much proves the border patrol knows the whole checkpoint concept is unconstitutional.

But then again, I've dealt with some shady cops, and it probably has soured my opinion of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Edit: Okay, I watched part 2. That should teach the scoff-law not to hide behind the Bill or Rights. He got off easy, next time they'll find a big bag of cocaine in the trunk, or even better, a stolen gun.

Last edited:
Another link to story,
Link to story

Being "inside" the United States border, a United States citizen is protected under the Constitution. There seams to be a growing abuse of power in America by many police agencies.

The guy makes very valid points. We as citizens are loosing our rights. Being able to search his vehicle based on 'mere' suspicion. Spooky if you think about it. Another symptom of our boarder policy and the impotence of our government to protect it(the boarder). Once again, law abiding citizens are paying for this with our freedoms.

Maintain

For all the Agents knew the individual had either contraband or could have been moving an illegal in the trunk, but what they knew for sure was the fact that they had a young male at a legal check point refusing a lawful order. From his demeanor, more than likely he did something to raise the suspicions of the officers for no other reason than to get some sort of altercation on tape, he was all set up to do just that.
They saw through his game, as that’s what it appeared to be and refused to play along, what he fails to think about is that for the near future he most likely placed himself on a watch list, and every officer who deals with him over the next several months, for whatever reason will be less inclined to cut him any slack. We ask for illegal activity to be stopped and then ask the persons we task with this job to walk a razors edge while doing it. Mistakes have been made and more will be in the future, but just a little consideration and cooperation goes a long way, on both sides. Now it looks like he got what he wanted and along with his fifteen minuets of fame, several officers will be forced to defend themselves when all he had to do was pop the trunk and play along.

For the record, I don't believe these two tapes are of the same guy. The first individual said he is a fireman and he was allowed to drive away at the end of the tape without having been searched and he was not involved in a physical altercation. The second man is a pastor and his altercation was not taped, at least not publicly, though I'm sure the checkpoint had lots of cameras.

It sounds like both incidents could have likely occured at the same checkpoint, however.

Quote:
...refusing a lawful order.

Which lawful order was that? If I may be so bold as to ask.

Hey, isn't Eugene within 100 miles of the border? Think about it for a minute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
...refusing a lawful order.

Which lawful order was that? If I may be so bold as to ask.

Hey, isn't Eugene within 100 miles of the border? Think about it for a minute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just FYI, Eugene is about 400 miles south of the Canadian border.

Quote:
For the record, I don't believe these two tapes are of the same guy.

Same guy Java. Steve Anderson. He is a pastor in Az. His handle is sanderson1611 on YouTube. He has quite a few interesting videos posted. I don't know how bright he is, but he sure has some conviction. And a valid point, IMO.

Quote:

I believe it IS the same guy, because the link you provided gives a "More From: sanderson1611 " message beside it.
It's very possible he's a pastor and a volunteer firefighter, assuming he was actually wearing a "firefighter" shirt, or that wearing a "firefighter" shirt somehow requires you to be a firefighter.

Who knows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:

And about 65 miles from the Pacific Ocean, which is a US border. I'm aware of where it is, I live right down the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, under the law, the US Border Patrol could well be authorized to set up checkpoints right here in my hometown, since there is a documented history or illegal drugs coming ashore only 65 miles away.

I'm just sayin.

This guy was a jerk from the get go , would not open the window and seems to be trying to get these guys provoked , It was a set up from the get go and he had the camera going before he even stopped . What a jerk and he is a pastor !! Don't now any pastors/bishops that would treat an officer like that !! All he had to do was open his window and answer the the ??? . But no he had no plans on being nice !!

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

Same guy Java. Steve Anderson. He is a pastor in Az. His handle is sanderson1611 on YouTube. He has quite a few interesting videos posted. I don't know how bright he is, but he sure has some conviction. And a valid point, IMO.

OK, good enough. I guess I'm confused then about WHEN the altercation occured, and his occupation, etc. In the first tape he says he's a fireman and the second tape says he's a pastor (Perhaps he is a p/t pastor and f/t fireman?)

I also notice their family blog is now down, too.

That's odd.

Quote:
Quote:

And about 65 miles from the Pacific Ocean, which is a US border. I'm aware of where it is, I live right down the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, under the law, the US Border Patrol could well be authorized to set up checkpoints right here in my hometown, since there is a documented history or illegal drugs coming ashore only 65 miles away.

I'm just saying.

Sure, point taken. I just wanted guys in other parts of the country to have a clear idea of the distance you cited to make your point. Back East here things are much closer together than out West.

BTW, back home north or you, in WA, we used to have a heck of a lot of trouble in Central and Eastern WA with illegals--I'm sure OR shares those difficulties.

I used to hunt and fish a lot over by Yakima, WA and there was a huge problem with them out there. Lots of 'black tar' heroin smuggling and related thuggery.

Back