Nikon's "Coyote Special" scope review

Byron South

Many of you guys were interested in the new Nikon scope and wanted to know more about it. A few days ago I mentioned I had received one and would write a review and give my opinion. Well I finally got it finished so here it is.

Review of Nikon's 3-9X 40mm "Coyote Special" scope.

In years gone by predator hunters used equipment designed for the pursuit of other game. As predator hunting grows so does the attention it gains from manufactures that supply the tools and toys that we use.

During the last few years predators hunters have seen even the major gun companies introduce new firearm designs that cater to the specific needs of predator hunters. So what about optics?

Nikon is one optics company that has taken a hard look at the growing predator hunting community and stepped up to the plate offering us a new, innovative product designed expressly for the lowly predator hunters. Nikon appropriately calls their new scope the “Coyote Special”. Nikon has earned a great reputation by building quality optics for many years. To their credit they went one step further with the design of this new scope by enlisting the help and experience of long time predator hunter Gary Roberson. Together they have obviously put lots of thought into this new venture.

I first saw this scope during the 2009 SHOT show held in Orlando Florida. I know all to well that judging a scope by looking through its glass inside a store or any building is no fair way to make any judgment. With that said I will admit that when I first looked through the new “Coyote Special” scope I was a little concerned at what I first saw. Let me explain. In the center of the scope where the crosshairs typically intersect there is nothing more than an open circle. My first impression was that this would make it difficult to accurately place shots. I voiced this concern with the gentlemen from Nikon but also told them I would hold my final judgment until I could evaluate the scope in a real world hunting situation as well as on the range. Well a couple of weeks ago I finally received the “Coyote Special” scope and promptly mounted it on my favorite rifle. Feel free to guess which rifle that would be.
6-11.jpg

My initial impression after mounting the scope was WOW! What a match! The combo looks as though they were made for each other. I know aesthetics doesn’t kill coyotes but this rig sure looked good. By the way this scope comes covered in two different camouflage patterns that are very popular among predator hunters. I immediately went outside for a look around through the new scope and I quickly realized that the open-circle reticle didn’t cover as much ground as originally thought. In fact it seemed to direct and focus my eye to the center of any object I trained it on. This concept is not a new one nor is it one I’m unfamiliar with. The military has been using this concept for decades. Ever used a peep sight? There are no center crosshairs in a peep sight. This concept relies on you looking through a peep hole then placing front blade on the target while keeping everything centered inside the peep hole to accurately place your shot. Many of these rifle sights have either adjustable holes or flip to move from a bigger hole (faster target acquisition) to a smaller hole (more precise aiming). Now, the difference with a scope however is there is no need to line up any rear sight, front sight and then line them up with your target. Everything is done internally by the scope itself. All the shooter is required to do is place the circle on the target allowing your eye and brain to quickly discern whether your target is centered. This, by the way, happens very quickly, especially with the middle step of lining up the front sight of the traditional peep sight out of the equation. This may seem foreign at first as you want to look for the intersecting crosshairs that you have trained yourself to expect. The transition from traditional crosshairs to this sighting system doesn’t take long. Trust me; I killed a triple on coyotes the very first day I used this set up, in some very thick stuff. These coyotes were all shot at a distance of 100 -130 yards within a narrow shooting lane. I didn’t have the luxury of time and this sighting system worked just as it was designed by getting me on target fast. I was able to put all three coyotes down fast with three precisely placed shots. I’ve heard the concerns of some that you wouldn’t be able to place your shots with precision and admit that I had the same concerns. I will also say that if I was shooting a bench rest match that the circle system wouldn’t be my first choice. However for shooting predators in calling situations that often demand fast target acquisition this system certainly has merit.

Target is at 50 yards and the scope is set on 3X
50yards3X-1.jpg

Target at 100 yards scope set at 3X.
100yards3X-3.jpg

Target at 50 yards, scope set at 9X.
50yards9X-2.jpg

100 yards target scope set at 9X. For a reference the target is a ram printed on a sheet of typing paper. The ram is about the size of a half grown cottontail rabbit.
100yards9X-1.jpg

Another neat feature with the reticle in this scope is the range finding aspects. There are three circles in decreasing sizes. For me this will have limited use as I like to call predators in close. It is a rare occasion that I shoot a coyote at over 200 yards. However it is nice to have this feature available in the case the need arises. When I first zeroed this scope I did so by adjusting it to hit dead center of the top circle at 100 yards. I then went back to 200 to test out the system. I placed the 200 yard target at the intersection between the top two circles and fired 5 shots. All five were right where they should be. The Nikon website says this should be the case with the 223 and they were spot on. The website also says the middle circle should be on at 300 and the bottom at 400. I didn’t test these distances but would assume this to be the case as well. Of course if you plan on taking such shots I would strongly urge you to test it out on the range first as rifles and loads can vary.

One other neat thing about this scope that was new to me was the addition of what Nikon calls the ARD (Anti Reflective Devise) technology.

5-11.jpg

1-9.jpg

This is a nice feature that effectively eliminates any reflective glare. In other words you won’t spook incoming predators by reflecting glare back towards him with this devise. The ARD devise screws onto the end of the scope and is removable. My concern was that it might cut down on light transmission. At dusk I decided to get out and see if I could tell a difference with and without the devise. While my testing was limited I could not really tell much difference if at all. In fact the scope did quite well in low light with and without the ARD. I believe I will gladly leave it on. My thoughts are that it will not only eliminate the possibility of spooking a coyote with reflective glint but it will do a great job of protecting the objective lens. As I see it the ARD devise is a “win win” deal all the way.

Stand by......More to come...........

Last edited:
nice write up and thanks for the evaluation. 1 question I have is on eye releif. the scope looks fairly short, is there plenty of eye releif??

4-10.jpg

For you guys that are familiar with optics nomenclature I will go into a little more detail. This scope has multicoated lenses that provides up to 92% light transmission. Only one other scope in the Nikon line has better performance. This slight increase in performance however comes at a price. With this being said 92% light transmission is pretty dang good. As a measure, Nikon’s acclaimed “Monarch” line of scopes that feature the “Ultra Clear Coat” transmits up to 95% of light through the lenses. At a street price of under $300 I doubt you can find a scope that does as well.

The 100 yard ram target beside my rifle for size comparison.
DSC02020.jpg

In the picture it looks like only four holes, but it is five. Two bullets went almost into the same hole. This was fired with the rifle I hunt with. The barrel wasn't cleaned and I didn't shoot several groups to pick the best. With that said this rifle consistently shoots 1" or less with even higher magnification scopes with traditional crosshairs.
DSC02022.jpg

To summarize my thoughts I would say this. I like this scope a lot and even though I have some higher-end scopes I intend to keep this scope on my go to predator rifle. The reasons I have come to this conclusion are as follows:

• I like the reticle and believe it has practical advantages that I would like to explore further.

• I’ve already demonstrated to myself the ability this scope has for allowing fast target acquisition and accurate shot placement within the parameters of 99.9 % of my hunting situations.

• The glass is bright even in dusk and dawn situations.

• The eye relief and field of view are both very ample and forgiving.

• Plus the setup just plain looks sharp sitting on top of my rifle.

If you are looking for a new scope for your predator rifle I would certainly recommend you give Nikon’s “Coyote Special” a look.

DSC01988-Copy.jpg

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron South /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Byron, excellent review and I do mean excellent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Now if I could come up with the money I would be putting one on my AR. Do they come in straight black? I would hate to spray paint a dipped scoped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Thanks Byron for the excellent review. I agree with everything that you said. I hate to brag or preach about any project that I worked on for someone might think I am just trying to sell something. I agree that I will rarely use any of the smaller loops in most situations as most shots are within a hundered yards. I am sure that you are able to see bullet impact in your scope with the R-15 which I think is very important.
I am sure that this is going to stir up a few folks but I think I would like the primary loop to be 4" in diameter rather than 3" in most calling situations. I really like the scope at 3-4x magnification and it is amazing how quickly your eye will find the center of the circle. The more you use it, the more you will like it.
Gary

Quote:
Byron, Quality write up. Does anyone know if the scope comes in anything other than dipped Advantage Max 1?

Here it is in Mossy Oak (Brush):

NikonCoyoteMossyOak.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed writeup, Byron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Please let us know how the scope performs on future hunts and differing situations.

Quote:
I am sure that this is going to stir up a few folks but I think I would like the primary loop to be 4" in diameter rather than 3" in most calling situations. .
Gary

I would like to hear more opinions from people who have actually used the scope in calling situations with the 3" circle.

Gary,

Thanks.

You and Nikon did a great job with this scope and have every right to brag and preach.

I also sometimes feel apprehensive about endorsing a product. I'm very aware that some may think I'm getting paid to do so and in some cases I am. Thats how this business works. What I can assure everyone of is that I won't offer my endorsement to faulty products or something I'm not 100% sure of. My comments in the above review are my true thoughts on this product. Being that I value my reputation and make myself available to the public by visiting these forums, doing lots of seminars and predator hunting events across the country I'm very guarded with my endorsments.

Knowing your reputation and integrety I felt this would be a great scope. My suspicions were confirmed as I too like the scope. This review simply states that.

I do like the size of the circles and feel they are about right. However you have more experience behind the scope than I. What I have found is that even though the crosshairs only meet the outside edges of the circle they still direct your eye to the center as if they were there. Pretty cool.

I only wish I would had recieved this scope earlier in the season.

Byron

Last edited:
I like the ARD concept. I'm sure I have had coyotes spook from a glint off the scope lens over the years.

With the 92% light transmission, this would make it a Buckmaster scope.

Thanks for the write-up.

It is a Buckmaster type scope.
Byron, got mine at SHOT and have had a chance to use it on a few hunts. As I have said before, if I was shooting at a coyote's eye, it would not be my choice; but shooting at a chest frontally or broadside, it is a great reticle. The primary purpose in the design of this scope was to reduce target acquisition time.
We are lucky to have the scopes that we have as there are only three out there. It looks as thought it will be the end of April or the first of June before they hit the market.
Gary

I liked the ARD thingie when I saw it. I was completely impressed that it did not obstruct or darken the view. It was a Houdini Trick I'm sure.

Will these ARD doo-hickies be available to fit other brand scopes? Would be nice to get a pair to fit my eyeglasses as well. I'd risk looking like a raccoon if it helped.

Great review Byron.
Good job Gary.

I have a 3-9 Buckmaster with Niko-Plex reticle. I bought an ARD and mounted it using a Butler Creek flip-up objective cover. The ARD is only 1/4" thick. I pulled the flip-up cover and just used the "ring" to hold the ARD. You can get them here:

SunGuard killFlash ARD

I've used it a bit. In my opinion, it works very well for hunting, but you lose some clarity. Look towards the sun at the bright sky and you'll see what I mean. Probably not what you want for a PDog setup, but I'm sticking with it for predators and big-game hunting.

As far as glasses go (I wear them, too), get a piece of headnet and make a veil that hangs off your hat brim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great write-up, Byron, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

nice to see that the ARD has been used. I really liked the concept (Aimpoint Killflash has been out for a long while) I think this is the scope I'm going to get once I get my next gun. Hopefully a .22-250 (Tikka T3 Lite)

The more I see the reticle, the more I think I want one for my go-to calling rifle.

Gary, Any chance of Savage putting that on their Predator Rifle?

I see a pic above with MossyOak Brush... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,

Barry

Back