Alaskan Cold Weather Homebuilt Caller Photo

snowcamoman

Well here goes my first attempt at putting a couple of pictures on here for the homemade e caller I built. I'm using the Azden setup and was originally running it with my Pogo MP3 player, but just bought the Cass Creek caller and love the sound and louder volume with that setup. Havn't had any luck yet this year. I've been out around 8 or 9 times and seem to be plauged by finding areas where trappers are. I built the lower portion from some old birch-plywood and used some 2 inch pinkboard to create a small "coffin" to put the receiver in. I can also put a small handwarmer in the insulated coffin and it works great even at -50 below. I ran some small cord around the coffin in order to pull it out of the wood box easy at cold weather in case I need to change battery. I sat the thing outside for over 6 hours at -50 below and the remote worked great and receiver was still nice and toasty warm. I used the 30W radio shack PA speaker and ran the cord through the top of the wood box and then mounted the speaker to the box. I was originally thinking of building a flashlight style caller, but when I set them in the light fluffy snow we have here in Alaska, they like to sink down and bury the speaker. So with this guy I can set it in the snow and the speaker is above the snow. It sounds great and I can strap it to the back of my snowmachine and not have to worry about ruining it. It's pretty industrial and takes abuse. Next year I'll order a Foxpro 32 sounds with the remote, but for now the homebuilt is doing fine. I'll come up with an easy solution to the burying caller problem next year. It calls in tons of Ravens and Squirrels, but no Fox, Lynx, Wolf, or Coyotes. I'll keep trying though. Season's coming to a close pretty soon. I'll just need to drive further from civilization and try to keep away from those 24 hour a day traps. Plus it's warming up.. Yippy...Hope this gives anybody needing a really cold weather ecaller an idea. Enjoy.

-Snowcamoman

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130683684&idx=1
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130683684&idx=1

Hey Snowcamoman,

Neat job you did on the e-caller. I took at look at your photo's and signed up for their site while at it. Looks like you solved your problems pretty handily. Thanks for sharing. Good hunting. - Bill

What kind of range do you get out of the remote setup w/ the azden. I just bought one and am waiting for it to get here.

Crang,
I measured it out and it started cutting out at 730 feet (243 yards). That's with the azden put inside the insulated "coffin" and inside the plywood base and inside a house. I'll never use it out that far from me, but it was good to know that it would reach out that far. I didn't even bother with a straight shot outside. I wanted to test it through a wall to mimic trees or some kind of interference. I was pretty amazed it went out that far. Granted, I couldn't hear it, but I had my Motorola radio and kept checking in with a friend inside. Also, the antennae on the thing was completely collapsed and inside the box/coffin.

-Snowcamoman

Back