reloading q

buckyne

Okay I am on the fence on whether to start reloading or not. I don't shoot 1000's of rounds a year but I am sick of paying 30+ bucks for a box of .280 ammo. So here is my question. I shoot a 280, my brother in law a 270 and my father in law a 30-06. I know I will need different die sets for each caliber but if we reload for all 3 is their a standard primer and powder that would work for all 3 so I don't end up with a ton of different components? I have been shooting the winchester CT ballistic tips 139 or 140 grains and will probably keep using that weight bullet. The heaviest bullet used would be the 30-06 probably 165 grain. Is that a big enough weight spread to worry about using different powders? I can't believe that 3 cartridges based on the same parent case would require totally different comppnents other than the bullet itself. I have looked a little bit on the web for reloading info but I am not sure where to really begin sorting out all the different/ conflicting info that is out there.

I know that each cartridge/rifle combo will shoot somewhat differently then the next but I am not looking for 1000 yard bench rest accuracy. Just something that will shoot accurately and allow us save some money. I don't have room for a separate reloading room in the house so this is going to be an "in the garage" or I might even go with a Lee hand reloader- the one that looks like a giagantic nut cracker.

Any hints/ suggestions/ feedback would be great.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot. WLR primers, your bullet weights are in line. A powder, Imr 4350 to Imr 4831 would get you close enough for hunting. Invest in a manual or two. Bullet manuals as Hornady, Sierra and Speer are the most common, and should offer there line of bullets to fit your needs. They also have great tech support for your questions with toll free numbers, doesn't get any better than that.
Jim

Buckyne,

Any large rifle primer will work fine. Large rifle magnum primers could be used in a pinch and you probably wouldn’t notice to much of a difference.
There are quite a few powders that will work fine for all three cartridges. My favorite for that class of calibers would be H4831 but stick around and you’ll see half a dozen favorites from other folks on here as well.
#1 thing is safety. Work up to max loads slowly and learn how to recognize signs of pressure.
There’s probably a million other things I could tell you but at this point you should probably read everything you can get your hands on and then ask any specific questions down the line.

i have found that after the initial investment in the reloading equipment, powder, bullets, primers and all the other stuff that goes along, i love reloading.
i think for me its going to be quite a while before reloading is cheaper than buying factory ammo after paying for all the stuff.
but, i also know that each cartridge is the same and am able to tune each load to each gun.
i dont go through 1000's each year either, but it gives me something to do when im bored or the weather is too crappy to be outside. plus its something to teach the kids and spend time with them.

You can get the basic reloading manual from hodgdon, just for paying the shipping, their complete 09 manual is cheap and works well also. www.hodgdon.com

Lee has some good (inexpensive) reloading componets, that work very well and won't break the bank. www.leeprecision.com Lyman has a very well written loading manual as well. blue

Pull up your different powder companies for their specific information on each caliber you are considering and then check your local availability of that powder...

If you have to have powder shipped into you, there is a specific HazMat fee, whether it's one pound or twenty...and your local supplier will usually spread that fee out among his order.

I was recently looking for some powder that would work well in my 9mm, .40, and 10mm handgun loads. I checked the Ramshot line and found one that would cover all three and it's readily available at Graf & Sons, which is not that much out of the way for me and they usually have a good supply on hand..

Since you say you don't shoot much, it may be a once in a year purchase for you, as long as whatever you choose is available...

Back