A hole of the week

GRIZZLYONE

First I dang near kill myself at work. Then today I try hard to get myself arrested!!! Late Friday afternoon I was straighting out the garage before Hula girl got home from work and I found almost a full can of FFFF black powder
I used for recovery ejection charges back when I was heavily
into high power rocketry. I have a 1/5 scale Civil War cannon that will shoot .750 dia balls. I fire this off on the 4th with blanks, shakes the whole neighborhood (they all think I'm unstable anyway). I use FF black powder in the cannon. You can't use FFFF, or the cannon will blow. So I wanted to get rid of the FFFF, I can't use it for anything and I don't want it around it's very volatile, and you can't just put it out with the trash! So I decides to pour it out in a straight line along the side of my house in the dirt away from everything and light it, no problem. I forget that it's black powder, not smokless. I lights it, it goes up in a huge mushroom cloud that could be seen for blocks. Next thing I know here comes my neighbor Al, (He's a soul brother in his 50s). He comes up to the other side of my gate and I quote " Rich! man you allright?" And I told him I was just getting rid of some old powder. He says "allright" and walks off. He allready thinks I'm crazy, Guns, hunting, cannons. I tell him it's a white boy thing! My house is real close to the 91 freeway and I was worried that a news chopper doing rush hour traffic might have seen this so I waited for the PD or the Fire Dept to show, they never did. Grizz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Grizz,,, Me thinks we may be somewhat alike....the neighbors in the new neighborhood don't know me well enough yet...I was the "Gun Nut" of my old one since I didn't own a bass boat..

Mainly because most of them loved to fish and had a bunch of Bass Boats (and I'm talking about those $25,000+ ones) and they called themselves "Sportsmen", but I was the Gun Nut because I had a 'couple of ARs' and would spend a few hours at the range....while they would spend weekends or weeks trying to catch the biggest fish in a bass tournament and drink a bunch of beer while out on the water...

But I've found that it's not a bad thing to have the reputation of being 'a little crazy'...so long as a judge doesn't hang the label on you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't post the method that I used to dispose of some black powder without risking arrest, commitment, or possibly inspiring some crazy to do something like copying me. Suffice it to say that my co-workers and everybody for blocks around were quite wary of me after that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Compressing ALOT of blackpowder into a "device" and setting it off gets peoples attention.

When I was a kid, we were always blowing things up with black powder and waterproof fuse. Now, I would be sent to juvie for stuff like that.

I still fire off one of my big guns at night every now and then to keep the neighbors used to my habits. On the river bottom we have a 100 yd range, bench rest and such. Have had the little old lady that lives 1/2 mile away send county enforcement to check things out. he really liked my range, said I was one lucky guy to be able to have it. Remember, you got to keep the neighbors educated.
Snag

Quote:
So I wanted to get rid of the FFFF, I can't use it for anything and I don't want it around it's very volatile, and you can't just put it out with the trash!

Can't and won't are two very different things. You'd be surprised what the garbageman will take when it's put in paper grocery bags and/or black trash bags. I don't recommend anything that will get them hurt though, I want to make sure they'll keep picking up my trash in the future. My garbageman and I have a little game we play. He does everything he can to destroy my trashcart so I put things in there to make his life miserable. My favorite thing is to empty my dust collector into the trashcart without bagging it so he gets covered with sawdust when he dumps it.

Back